Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    I am currently a year 10 student and i'm trying to plan for my future career as early as possible, I am interested in becoming a secondary school PE teacher, I am taking GCSE PE and BTEC Sport already in Y10, And soon i expect to be applying for my 6th form collage, What is the best route into secondary school PE Teaching, I am aware that you can take Physical education as an A level, There is also a BTEC Level three course? What would be best for teaching and then helping me to get into a university? . If any of you have/are working towards being a PE teacher your advise would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Alfie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie_Steers)
    Hello everybody,
    I am currently a year 10 student and i'm trying to plan for my future career as early as possible, I am interested in becoming a secondary school PE teacher, I am taking GCSE PE and BTEC Sport already in Y10, And soon i expect to be applying for my 6th form collage, What is the best route into secondary school PE Teaching, I am aware that you can take Physical education as an A level, There is also a BTEC Level three course? What would be best for teaching and then helping me to get into a university? . If any of you have/are working towards being a PE teacher your advise would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Alfie
    I assume you know you need an undergrad degree first and then the PGCE? The undergraduate degree would need to have at least 50% Sports content in it.

If your doing well in your GCSE's then I would go down the A-Level route, baring in mind that for the top Sports courses you need a Science at A-Level. It leaves the most options open though rather than closing some at 16 (like Lougborough for example)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie_Steers)
    Hello everybody,

Thanks,
    Alfie
    Look at the entry requirements for physical education courses at uni. You will need an undergraduate degree before you go on to train to be a teacher and a physical education course will prepare you well to be a pe teacher. I would guess you need physical education and biology a level at least for this degree.

ReputationRep:
    PE A level
    + a science/social science A level.

Sport Science degree.

Coaching qualifications. Football, Cricket, Swimming, Rugby.

Volunteer in schools as teaching assistant/pe assistant.
    Volunteer coaching assistant over summers.

PGCE secondary PE.

And done.

Volunteering and coaching badges can be done before your PGCE. Badges over the summers, volunteering if you have free periods and finish early at sixth form, when you don't have lectures at Uni, in the couple months after you finish Uni in the summer (you'll finish before schools break up).

ReputationRep:
    Thank You!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.