Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at doing a medicine degree as I am very interested in it. I have looked at the course content at many universities and I am very happy with it. However the only one thing I am very worried about is the side of medicine that involves disection and dead bodies and injections. I love medicine and the career I would like to pursue woulf not involve having to do any of the above. So what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few universities which don't do dissection any more, or which only use prosection (pre-dissected specimens, so you don't have to get your hands dirty yourself).

However, in pretty much every specialty you may go into, you will have to deal with patients dying, some more often than others, but you will encounter it, especially as you have to rotate through different specialties as a junior doctor. It's not nice, but it's something you get used to and learn to deal with in your own way. Dead bodies are nothing to be afraid of. Likewise you will learn how to give injections, take blood etc. Quite a few people are squeamish about this but when it's you doing it rather than receiving it, it's a different feeling!

ReputationRep:
    You will need to be able to handle dead bodies/body parts and inject people. You honestly get used to it really quickly though. I still get kind of queasy having my blood taken and watching some procedures, but have no problem doing it myself - its a different situation.

Squeamishness would have to be pretty extreme to become a factor when considering a medical career.

(Original post by Helenia)
    There are quite a few universities which don't do dissection any more, or which only use prosection (pre-dissected specimens, so you don't have to get your hands dirty yourself).
    I suspect you meant figuratively but to be clear, in my experience most anatomy demonstrators would expect you to pick up and poke around prosected specimens. Not to mention getting 'hands on' with live anatomy in theatre etc. As said, you get used to it very quickly though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.