Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel really self conscious in the gym (thus why I've only been twice in my life) I just feel like everyone is looking at and judging me I'm ok in the swimming pool (4-5 20 min sessions a week) and have no problem on my local dry ski slope (1 2 hour session a week) but in the gym I feel really self conscious and the second time a bit angry.

This wouldn't be a problem but 2 psychotherapists now have told me I need to strengthen my core using a recumbent bike and the only way I can get one of those is in the gym which I feel so uncomfortable in that I avoid it like the plague can anyone help me get over this?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly nobody pays attention to anyone else unless they rub them up the wrong way. Just have a goal and then you will feel motivated to go in there and do it, you'll soon forget about what other people think when you get really into the gym, which may take a while. Just keep at it and don't let your thoughts (which may not even be true) get you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I feel really self conscious in the gym (thus why I've only been twice in my life) I just feel like everyone is looking at and judging me I'm ok in the swimming pool (4-5 20 min sessions a week) and have no problem on my local dry ski slope (1 2 hour session a week) but in the gym I feel really self conscious and the second time a bit angry.

This wouldn't be a problem but 2 psychotherapists now have told me I need to strengthen my core using a recumbent bike and the only way I can get one of those is in the gym which I feel so uncomfortable in that I avoid it like the plague can anyone help me get over this?

ye no one cares mate , if they are looking they should be more focused o there own training rather than other peoples.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, if you're self conscious no dour everyone else is feeling that too. Therefore, no one is looking at/ judging anyone because they're all too worried about not making an arse of themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you have a job, save up for a recumbent bike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)

You can buy recumbent bikes if you don't wanna use a gym. Failing that, just go into the gym during times when there's not many people about, and put your headphones in so you can't hear anyone around you.

ReputationRep:
    You've just got to go in with a care-free attitude. It can be an intimidating place, but just go in and do your thing.

ReputationRep:
    Plus most people haven't got a ****ing clue what they're doing in the gym, so you'll have that other them..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.