The Student Room Group

Xbox One - Should I get it??

So basically I'm still using my 360, which I have had since 06/07 ish. Can't decide whether I should get an Xbox One or not.

Since the price difference is only £40 (if that) I won't be going for a PS4.

I'm off to Uni next year and at 18 the heights of my 'gaming days' are gone so I'm unsure as to whether it would be worth investing around £380 on a new console alone. Only one of my friends has an Xbox One and the rest still play 360. Though a lot of them are thinking about getting one but it looks like an 'if everyone else does too' kind of situation.

I've also been informed that the 'Party' feature has been removed? I'm not sure if this is true but that would surely remove the social aspect I've enjoyed for 4-5 years of Xbox Live with my friends.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just wondering whether the in game improvements such as graphics are worth while, I'm not interested about the voice-command features and any Kinect stuff.

Looking for answers mainly from those who play online, as the likes of FIFA, Halo and Cod etc will be what I will continue to play.

Thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of getting an Xbox One please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jake1212
So basically I'm still using my 360, which I have had since 06/07 ish. Can't decide whether I should get an Xbox One or not.

I'm off to Uni next year and at 18 the heights of my 'gaming days' are gone so I'm unsure as to whether it would be worth investing around £380 on a new console alone. Only one of my friends has an Xbox One and the rest still play 360. Though a lot of them are thinking about getting one but it looks like an 'if everyone else does too' kind of situation.

I've also been informed that the 'Party' feature has been removed? I'm not sure if this is true but that would surely remove the social aspect I've enjoyed for 4-5 years of Xbox Live with my friends.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just wondering whether the in game improvements such as graphics are worth while, I'm not interested about the voice-command features and any Kinect stuff.

Looking for answers mainly from those who play online, as the likes of FIFA, Halo and Cod etc will be what I will continue to play.

You'll get be very busy at university, so you'd basically only use it during the summer, or when you're back home. Do you think it's worth it for that?
Original post by mathsguy1
You'll get be very busy at university, so you'd basically only use it during the summer, or when you're back home. Do you think it's worth it for that?

Why won't somebody at university be able to game in the evening? It's not like you're studying or partying the entire time. The vast majority of people kill vast numbers of hours downloading and watching t.v. shows, so anyone can make time if they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, go PS4. Better exclusives, better indie games.

Xbox One will be awesome in a few years once devs have got to grips with the cloud processing side of things, but not yet.
Go for ps4, better exclusives and multi-plats at higher resolution/frame rate. The controller is way better too. Also the game library on Playstation plus is a lot better than xbox

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Slim Shady 96
Go for ps4, better exclusives and multi-plats at higher resolution/frame rate. The controller is way better too. Also the game library on Playstation plus is a lot better than xbox

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really fussed about the exclusives to PS4, the only exclusive game I may play is halo which is obviously xbox. I also prefer the xbox controller anyway, I find it more comfortable. I'm pretty set on which of the consoles I'll be going for (though there is room for persuasion if there is a serious put off to the xbox one).

Do many people game at uni?
Reply 6
I'm not really fussed about the exclusives to PS4, the only exclusive game I may play is halo which is obviously xbox. I also prefer the xbox controller anyway, I find it more comfortable. I'm pretty set on which of the consoles I'll be going for (though there is room for persuasion if there is a serious put off to the xbox one).

Do many people game at uni?

I didn't find many who did on consoles, but quite a few on PC's. Someone did bring in their Xbox 360 and another guy bought in his TV and there were Fifa tournaments going on.
I'm primarily a PC gamer and I'm getting one just for the new Halo Anniversary that was announced. That's pretty much it.
You should get the console that most of your friends have, otherwise you won't typically enjoy yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Parties are still there.

I really enjoy mine. I've played 360 for 4 years and I don't regret choosing an xbox one.

I love how I can pause the game, watch something on netflix, then come back and continue straight away on the game.

I still have time to play mine even though it takes me 3 hours to travel to uni. You won't be working non-stop!
Just a quick note, the ps4 also has those features described above ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
No!! Don't get it!!! It's a garbage console, it's really rubbish!
I've got one and I wouldn't reccomend one until September time when you will have some good games released. Looking back, I could have happily lived with my 360 for an extra year. If your like me and have transitioned from more of a hardcore gamer to a casual one due to studies then I would leave it for now personally
Reply 13
I love the xbox one but honestly there's not many games out atm. There's some crackers coming out later this year/early 2015 but a lot of them are on 360 as well.

Personally I'd say wait - there's not much to play now (you can't play fifa online against a 360 if you've got an xbox one) and by the time there is stuff to play, you'll be off at uni.

It's not good to have anything people really want at uni (e.g. car or next gen console) as they'll start taking liberties. Better to be the one taking liberties than the other way round.
Halo master chief edition!?

Is this even a real question!?
Reply 15
Original post by Daniel9510
Halo master chief edition!?

Is this even a real question!?

I don't understand this obsession with Halo that gets people to the point they are willing to pay full whack for a whole new game which is made up of games they've already got, with slight changes...

Same with GTA 5 on next gen - there's no way in hell I'll be paying £50 for slightly better graphics.
Reply 16
Original post by spermythecat
I'm primarily a PC gamer and I'm getting one just for the new Halo Anniversary that was announced. That's pretty much it.

Same. The only games I'm going to buy are the Halos and Destiny (if it doesn't come to PC soonish).
Original post by Steezy
I don't understand this obsession with Halo that gets people to the point they are willing to pay full whack for a whole new game which is made up of games they've already got, with slight changes...

I am. You seem to forget that when Microsoft killed off Xbox Live for the original Xbox console it also killed off Halo 2 Multiplayer. And believe me I can speak on behalf of the entire Halo community when I say I'm more than happy to buy a new system to fire that up again.

That and 60fps 1080p dedicated servers Halo 2/3/4 multiplayer? This is a huge deal. (as far as console games go).
Reply 18
Original post by spermythecat
I am. You seem to forget that when Microsoft killed off Xbox Live for the original Xbox console it also killed off Halo 2 Multiplayer. And believe me I can speak on behalf of the entire Halo community when I say I'm more than happy to buy a new system to fire that up again.

That and 60fps 1080p dedicated servers Halo 2/3/4 multiplayer? This is a huge deal. (as far as console games go).

Fair enough. Never been much of a halo guy tbh, to each their own
Reply 19
Original post by Mushi_master
Why won't somebody at university be able to game in the evening? It's not like you're studying or partying the entire time. The vast majority of people kill vast numbers of hours downloading and watching t.v. shows, so anyone can make time if they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From experience

I only played Xbox when it was the odd game of FIFA with mates etc. The rest of the time I spent doing things like gym, actual University work or generally going out.

Sure, if you was a very passionate "gamer" as such, you would make time I guess.

I recommend just taking your 360 for the first year, see how you get on, then decide

Quick Reply

Latest