Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was recently discussing mental illness with somebody, trying to explain it is equal to any medical illness. They believed that everyone with mental illness should be transferred to a camp and sentenced for treatment because the treatment presently does not work and they are a 'burden'.

But I personally believe this to be unfair and unequal treatment to people with mental illness, almost a person with mental illness is not a human being by isolating them from society at their own will and making them an outcast.

Anyway this debate escalated to the point where I made the comparison that mental illness is equal to a medical condition such as cancer and this didn't turn out well in the debate not going into much detail.

The reason I said it was is because mental illness can be really severe and horrible for anyone, they do not want to live their life like that and ultimately it can result in death. I really did not mean to be insensitive but i believe this is true, it is a medical condition that affects peoples life horribly much like cancer.

Was I in the wrong? am i thinking irrational? i really didn't mean to upset anyone from the bottom of my heart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was recently discussing mental illness with somebody, trying to explain it is equal to any medical illness. They believed that everyone with mental illness should be transferred to a camp and sentenced for treatment because the treatment presently does not work and they are a 'burden'.

But I personally believe this to be unfair and unequal treatment to people with mental illness, almost a person with mental illness is not a human being by isolating them from society at their own will and making them an outcast.

Anyway this debate escalated to the point where I made the comparison that mental illness is equal to a medical condition such as cancer and this didn't turn out well in the debate not going into much detail.

The reason I said it was is because mental illness can be really severe and horrible for anyone, they do not want to live their life like that and ultimately it can result in death. I really did not mean to be insensitive but i believe this is true, it is a medical condition that affects peoples life horribly much like cancer.

Was I in the wrong? am i thinking irrational? i really didn't mean to upset anyone from the bottom of my heart
    Segregation is an extremely stupid opinion and would probably do the opposite of helping them.

And personally I wouldn't compare anything to cancer to try and make a point.

(Original post by OllieDS)
    Segregation is an extremely stupid opinion and would probably do the opposite of helping them.

And personally I wouldn't compare anything to cancer to try and make a point.
    I didn't compare it spontaneously, they brought it up and basically said f them deal with other illness like cancer where people care, and i replied it is similar to cancer, for the reasons i said above. would you say I was wrong to do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I didn't compare it spontaneously, they brought it up and basically said f them deal with other illness like cancer where people care, and i replied it is similar to cancer, for the reasons i said above. would you say I was wrong to do so?
    If I were in your position I would probably have pointed out that the approach the person you were arguing with suggested was used not that long ago (Victorian mental health institutions etc) and that once mental health care become better understood and medication became available that could help with the mental health issues then much of the treatment of people with mental health issues was moved to the community rather than in special institutions.

As someone who suffers from mental health problems I think the fact that these problems are treated in the community is major bonus. I've been in a psychiatric ward a couple of times and it isn't nice. God knows what it was like in the Victorian times. I get the impression that people were basically left to rot.

But at the end of the day you can't really fight ignorance. Just ignore them and move on. You won't change their opinion about things. The fact that they don't know any history on the subject yet are prepared to trot out uninformed opinions says a lot about their (lack of ) critical thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I do view mental illnesses are equal to medical illnesses. Both can be caused by biological and environmental factors, and they are both treated with drugs and forms of therapy. I do believe you are right, however not everyone can agree. They may see somebody suffering from psychopathic behaviour as dangerous to society, and therefore should be locked away from others for safety.

(Original post by McNuggetsAhoy)
    If I were in your position I would probably have pointed out that the approach the person you were arguing with suggested was used not that long ago (Victorian mental health institutions etc) and that once mental health care become better understood and medication became available that could help with the mental health issues then much of the treatment of people with mental health issues was moved to the community rather than in special institutions.

As someone who suffers from mental health problems I think the fact that these problems are treated in the community is major bonus. I've been in a psychiatric ward a couple of times and it isn't nice. God knows what it was like in the Victorian times. I get the impression that people were basically left to rot.

But at the end of the day you can't really fight ignorance. Just ignore them and move on. You won't change their opinion about things. The fact that they don't know any history on the subject yet are prepared to trot out uninformed opinions says a lot about their (lack of ) critical thinking.
    (Original post by prophetkid)
    I do view mental illnesses are equal to medical illnesses. Both can be caused by biological and environmental factors, and they are both treated with drugs and forms of therapy. I do believe you are right, however not everyone can agree. They may see somebody suffering from psychopathic behaviour as dangerous to society, and therefore should be locked away from others for safety.
    Yeah, basically the idea was to make a camp, like a prison then instead of dealing with the patient in the community (because they believe no-one cares about the mentally ill and want them to die, to make tax cheaper) then sentence them to do a certain time period like 1 year within this camp is facilities to help them achieve a normal life. But it is in the middle of nowhere, families must move their with them, and the patients have no choice but to go there, the police collect them otherwise.

I think that's horrible, that's socially out casting people due to their illness and treating them different. I do like the idea of removing them from their homes to stop addictions by removing their environment and contacts associated with a drug for a long period which they can then get a job. But I strongly disagree that nobody cares about the mentally ill and they are a burden to society due to tax and responsibilities. Personally it reminds me of a concentration camp

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.