Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worth getting old generation console when new ones are out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been away from gaming for about 3 or so years and have some time to pick it up before university resumes. I was thinking of getting a new generation console (PS4, mainly) but given the lack of games for it I thought the PS3 or Xbox 360 might be better? I took a look at prices and I can pick up any one of those consoles for £100 and games are going for under £10. The alternative is to upgrade my PC but I always found PC gaming too addictive so would rather not.

Thoughts?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given you're already on PC I'm unsure how to advise. Firstly, it's quite a step down from PC and doesn't feel anywhere near as nice to play (even putting graphical differences aside) and the addiction level should be roughly the same, unless the step down is too off putting. On the other hand, it's somewhat more social which makes it somewhat better for at uni and it's a lot easier to be a casual, as well as having reduced temptation when working, given you have to go and turn it on rather than just maximise steam and press play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Given you're already on PC I'm unsure how to advise. Firstly, it's quite a step down from PC and doesn't feel anywhere near as nice to play (even putting graphical differences aside) and the addiction level should be roughly the same, unless the step down is too off putting. On the other hand, it's somewhat more social which makes it somewhat better for at uni and it's a lot easier to be a casual, as well as having reduced temptation when working, given you have to go and turn it on rather than just maximise steam and press play.
    The thing is, on PC I played games such as Dota 2 and CSGO and they just use a lot of time. I have a lot of friends on both of these games and we'd spend hours at night playing then and it's just a big waste of time, and I don't think I could play those games casually at all. That's the main reason I'm staying away from PC.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mathsguy1)
    The thing is, on PC I played games such as Dota 2 and CSGO and they just use a lot of time. I have a lot of friends on both of these games and we'd spend hours at night playing then and it's just a big waste of time, and I don't think I could play those games casually at all. That's the main reason I'm staying away from PC.
    Dropping to console you end up spending all day just playing CoD or Halo instead of Dota and CS

ReputationRep:
    Dropping to console you end up spending all day just playing CoD or Halo instead of Dota and CS
    I doubt it, when I had I last had a console I only played it every few days and mainly single player games or when I had friends around.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I doubt it, when I had I last had a console I only played it every few days and mainly single player games or when I had friends around.
    Then buying a console becomes a waste.

ReputationRep:
    Then buying a console becomes a waste.
    How so? I don't need to be on it all day to make it worthwhile o.o

ReputationRep:
    Get a PS3 for The Last of Us. Probably a few other exclusives worth looking at too, but that one is the best.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Given how little time is left in the life cycle, periodic play to me doesn't really justify the expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Get a PS3 for The Last of Us. Probably a few other exclusives worth looking at too, but that one is the best.
    I support that. It's a really scary game in parts though but they usually do give you kinds of warning when those are coming up after the quiet exploration parts. I also like the multiplayer. The single player is often more like a real time puzzle game than a shooter game. You have to decide best how to distract enemies or creep around them. It's very tense.

The PS4 has recently been getting accusations of having 'no games'. There is more publicity for the PS4 verison of The Last of Us than there is for some upcoming PS4 exclusives. Plus there is due to be a PS4 verison of Beyond Two Souls.

These are great experiences (although Beyond Two Souls plays itself in some parts if you don't respond to a quick time event. It is near impossible to die in the entire game: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/no...-jodi-can-die/).

But the greatness of the PS3 after it's awkward first few years is part of what is making the PS4 loved more for its hardware than for its software.

Personally, I say get a PS3. Also enjoy the Uncharted series, Motorstorm Apocalypse, The Unfinished Swan, Papo and Yo, Dishonoured.
    Don't get Bioshock for PS3 unless you have to- it was an early port and looks a bit too clinical compared to the Xbox360 version. But Bioshock 2 looks OK (although Ken Levine doesn't regard it as part of his story) and Bioshock Infinite looks great on the PS3.

ReputationRep:
    After nearly a year the new consoles offer a shockingly weak line-up. There's still plenty of value in the PS3 and 360. But PC is always the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Worth watching old Al Pacino gangster movies when new films are out?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.