Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, let me start by saying that I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought it would make sense to ask this to students who are/have been using the Kingston accommodation.

I am planning to go to Kingston to do engineering in September (firm choice, conditional offer). I have done my student finance and I am set to get £5038 maintenance for the year, but the cheapest accommodation at Kingston is £4300, and the 'recommended' accommodation based on the fact that I am studing in the roehampton vale campus is £4840 for the year. This would only leave me with £198 to live off of for the whole year. My parents don't earn a huge amount of money but I am pretty confident that I don't qualify for any extra bursaries.

I was wondering if this is the norm that other people go through? That much left over doesn't seem a lot to live off of, and I wouldn't even be able to make the rent using the instalment pay method.

Any advice/help is much appreciated, thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzosaurus)
    Okay, let me start by saying that I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought it would make sense to ask this to students who are/have been using the Kingston accommodation.

I am planning to go to Kingston to do engineering in September (firm choice, conditional offer). I have done my student finance and I am set to get £5038 maintenance for the year, but the cheapest accommodation at Kingston is £4300, and the 'recommended' accommodation based on the fact that I am studing in the roehampton vale campus is £4840 for the year. This would only leave me with £198 to live off of for the whole year. My parents don't earn a huge amount of money but I am pretty confident that I don't qualify for any extra bursaries.

I was wondering if this is the norm that other people go through? That much left over doesn't seem a lot to live off of, and I wouldn't even be able to make the rent using the instalment pay method.

Any advice/help is much appreciated, thanks
    No, it's not big enough to support you without other funds.
    No, it's not appropriate if your parents are unable or unwilling to help.

Unfortunately, that's the deal you get, and it's a lot better than some people will get.

You'll have to budget well, ask your parents for every scrap of help they can give you, and try your hardest to find work for what's left of the summer, and part-time work when you arrive.
    With that kind of accommodation cost (unless Roehampton is just a really expensive area, I'm not experienced with it), it's definitely worth looking at a student house, and seeing if that's any cheaper - Halls are massively overpriced and if you're not really into the idea of them for the social side, a house will do you just as well!

Oh, and be ready for the wave of people telling you to "stop moaning and get off your arse", because, you know, it's really easy to find a job, and it's totally immature of you to be worried about starting a 3 year degree without being certain you will have the funds to complete it.

ReputationRep:
    dont call me immature

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.