Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 18 and I have to lose a tooth to a failed root canal Watch

When I was little, like primary school age, I drank lots of fizzy drinks and often forgot to brush my teeth. So I have a bunch of fillings in my back teeth. One of my molars started decaying underneath a filling and by the time it was symptomatic, the tooth seemed to be infected and I had a root canal done on it.

It's been 3 months since the root canal and the tooth has felt dodgy (as in, tender, hurts to bite on) on and off. Last night for the first time I had an episode of reasonably painful toothache and while it eventually subsided by the next day it really freaked me out because it's not supposed to happen on a root canal this old. So I suspect the root canal has failed.

So I've been trying to come to terms with the molar being extracted. I'm not afraid of the procedure itself, but I'm scared of just missing a tooth, having my chewing impaired, complications that could happen, etc. I'm actually about to start studying dentistry so I feel even more like crap. I'm just a teenager and I want to be a dentist and I can't even keep my own teeth. I feel incompetent and worthless and ashamed, and also scared of unexplained pain. Everything else in my life is going just swimmingly right now, except this, and it's really getting me down and I don't feel like talking to people about it IRL.

Can you help me accept this?

ReputationRep:
    You want to be a dentist...

ReputationRep:
    I've had a molar extracted for the same reason, and my chewing doesn't feel impaired or anything like that. It feels weird at first, but after a week or two, you quickly become used to it. So don't worry about it.

(Original post by ilikeyoutoomuch)
    You want to be a dentist...
    IKR. The irony.

(Original post by Ajibola)
    I've had a molar extracted for the same reason, and my chewing doesn't feel impaired or anything like that. It feels weird at first, but after a week or two, you quickly become used to it. So don't worry about it.
    Thank you. That's a great comfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajibola)
    This^

I've also had one extracted. They give you a needle so you feel nothing and have a cotton balls where it was for a few hours. There wasnt even any pain after the needle had worn off and I just chewed on the other side of my mouth for a week until I adjusted back to chewing normally. Thankfully there's 2 on each side so its not like im molarless XD haha

Also, if you're studying dentistry, could you tell me what 'wisdom teeth' are and when I can expect them? I was just under the conception that I'd know due to the 'extreme pain' the previous generation warned me about.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I had a molar go infected too. It was extracted as I have a wisdom underneath and its really not as bad as you'd imagine. My molar was taken out on christmas eve when I was 16 so you can imagine the pain and bad timing haha. I had to eat on the other side for about a week but its now fine and within time the gap between where my tooth had been narrowed a lot, I can't even fit my little finger there anymore

ReputationRep:
    If you have a significant sized tooth taken out there's a good chance everything will shift a bit in the aftermath, particularly if your wisdom teeth have yet to come in.

I've had two teeth removed on the one side-one was one that I had removed when I was 18, and once my wisdom tooth started pushing round my teeth on that side shifted enough so that you can barely see the gap from the front-and the second my backmost molar which I suspect cracked from the pressure of the wisdom tooth coming in. Even at 25 though, it allowed the wisdom tooth to come in fully and that again closed up the gap quite a bit. Neither affect my bite on that side, it doesn't really matter that there's a gap, it's just slightly annoying if you get food stuck in there!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.