Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have very little work experience in a medical setting(1 week accountants, 3 days hospital, hopefully a few days in a GP and some care home work) however i was a school mentor(basically a pupil-Councillor) for younger children for 4 years.

most of the people i know have only been able to get 1 or 2 placements too.

Do you have to say how long your placements were for? Also...how would i go about getting more experience, i always seem to get a snotty women at the end of a phone saying 'we don't offer work experience, bye'

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the length of any placements - med schools keep stressing the importance of not worrying about the number of days/weeks, but what you've learned from it. They will be much more impressed with someone who's done a few days in a hospital, but is able to explain really well how this helped them decide to pursue Medicine, and what they gained. Much better than someone just listing everything they've done but not explaining how this was beneficial/opened their eyes etc etc.

But if you're looking for tips of how to get more placements - be persistent and do not back down! I landed myself a placement in Surgery, just by emailing every consultant I could find. Got 2 positive replies and did a week with each of them, well worth the effort!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.