Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Answering the Question 'Why are you switching jobs/industries?' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR

I used to work in an MPs office. Interviewing for other jobs I keep getting asked ‘Why don’t you want to go back into that?

Honest answers

1) I was terrible at canvassing and did not enjoy being sworn at repeatedly by people.

2) Without going into too much detail there was a lot of organisational infighting which made it not a very nice place to work

I’m struggling to answer this question which I feel is trying to trip me up by saying something negative which is of course not acceptable and about the biggest interview faux pas imaginable.

How have others dealt with such a question? It is framed in such a way as to illicit a negative response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3458349058349053)
    Hi TSR

I used to work in an MPs office. Interviewing for other jobs I keep getting asked ‘Why don’t you want to go back into that?

Honest answers

1) I was terrible at canvassing and did not enjoy being sworn at repeatedly by people.

2) Without going into too much detail there was a lot of organisational infighting which made it not a very nice place to work

I’m struggling to answer this question which I feel is trying to trip me up by saying something negative which is of course not acceptable and about the biggest interview faux pas imaginable.

How have others dealt with such a question? It is framed in such a way as to illicit a negative response!
    mmm I don't think it's designed to trip you up - sometimes companies genuinely do wonder what your motives are for moving careers/companies etc.

For example, I had an interview last year, where I was asked this question. I answered by saying there was management difficulties, a lot of unnecessary pressure, Head Office not knowing what they're doing etc. and they respected my honesty. Sure, it was only a retail position I was being interviewed for, but it's still the same principle.
    I got the job offer a few days later, but had to turn it down for two reasons.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3458349058349053)

You are quite right to spot this is a question that can trip you into a massive negative vibe in an interview. Don't answer the questions directly, just say 'It's not that I don't want to stay in x, it's just that I really want to move into Y because ...............' in other words, don't be tempted to talk about the negative of the previous role, turn it into an opportunity to big up the positives of where you want to move to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.