Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a new job and with the new funds I am thinking of upgrading my S4 however im slightly torn between upgrading to the S5 or maybe looking at some of the other android models on the market. Any suggestions or opinions?

ReputationRep:
    You mean like I already have been doing with any money I've ever gotten? I try to put between 15-20% of any large amount of money away into a savings account. Yanno since I was about 10 ish. theirs a nice amount in there and I've still got oh . . . . another 4 years of part time work at university to also add to it. I'm looking for genuine opinions from people who have either had the phone or similar phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matty4912)
    I recently got a new job and with the new funds have decided to upgrade my S4 however im slightly torn between upgrading to the S5 or maybe looking at some of the other android models on the market. Any suggestions or opinions?
    Look at the Xperia Z2. Better build quality and IMO design. Software is more elegant and intuitive than Samsungs 'Touchwiz'. Great camera and waterproof!

ReputationRep:
    You know you're on TSR when you the first thing that comes to mind with S4 is Statistics 4 lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get the s5, if it was me I would wait for the new iphone or if you really want an android phone get the htc one m8 or the sony z2, if you want a windows phone then the lumia 930

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matty4912)
    You mean like I already have been doing with any money I've ever gotten? I try to put between 15-20% of any large amount of money away into a savings account. Yanno since I was about 10 ish. theirs a nice amount in there and I've still got oh . . . . another 4 years of part time work at university to also add to it. I'm looking for genuine opinions from people who have either had the phone or similar phones.
    There's physically nothing the S5 or any other phone can do for you that the S4 can't. Why do you feel the need to throw money at something because it's the latest thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    There's physically nothing the S5 or any other phone can do for you that the S4 can't. Why do you feel the need to throw money at something because it's the latest thing?
    I don't. I said I was 'thinking' that doesn't mean I was definitely going to go through with it.

ReputationRep:
    bought the s4 about a year ago and i loved it til i lost it. got to s5 a month ago and its basically the same but does some cool but ultimately useless ****. imo get the s4, virtually equal hardware and if anything the s5 runs slower because of all the silly apps like heart rate monitor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    Don't get the s5, if it was me I would wait for the new iphone or if you really want an android phone get the htc one m8 or the sony z2, if you want a windows phone then the lumia 930

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've had an Iphone before and they just ain't my cup of tea, I prefer android for it's custom ability and it's ability to install custom roms etc. I will look at the HTC One M8 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H-Barca)
    bought the s4 about a year ago and i loved it til i lost it. got to s5 a month ago and its basically the same but does some cool but ultimately useless ****. imo get the s4, virtually equal hardware and if anything the s5 runs slower because of all the silly apps like heart rate monitor
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    The S5 was very much an incremental upgrade, the only major departure from the previous design was the fingerprint sensor and heart rate monitor, and neither of these were particularly well implemented or revolutionise the smartphone experience (and waterproofing, I guess). Everything else is very much a minimal chsnge- general spec bump, slightly better camera, slightly bigger screen but same resolution, that sort of stuff. In terms of day to day experience the difference using the two is likely to be marginal. In my personal opinion the S5 is the weakest of the current stable of flagships when it comes to unique selling points and Android implementations, and I personally hate Samsung's hardware and software design philosophies.

I would personally say if you want to upgrade look at the competing flagships to see if any offer features you would miss in the S4/S5 or generally find desirable, or if you wanted to stay Samsung I would either wait for the S6 or dabble with the plablet form factor by checking out the Note 3 or waiting for the upcoming Note 4. Definitely one to try before you buy though!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!! That was very useful and exactly the type of post I was looking for ! I should probably note I have looked at others now such as HTC one or the z2 but the lack of manual buttons is just a no for me haha i don't think I could do without the menu button for which I've grown so accustomed to!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.