Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing your DP to raise awareness...does it really work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I see people changing their display photos on facebook, whatsapp, and everywhere else you can do it in support of Palestine. Do you think it really makes a difference? I personally have been against it all my life as I don't believe it actually does something.

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Most people who have access to the internet and television would already have some awareness of the events, and even if a few people who didn't know deicide to research the issue after seeing the display picture, I highly doubt they would proceed to contribute in any real way. If you want to help, donate to the appropriate charity or even volunteer yourself. For most people it seems internet 'slacktivism' such as this is an attention-orientated "look at me and how much I care" fashion trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffingg)
    Do you think it really makes a difference?
    Difference to what, though?

The actual cause? No, not one iota.
    Their sense of moral righteousness? Probably (but it shouldn't).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Difference to what, though?

The actual cause? No, not one iota.
    Their sense of moral righteousness? Probably (but it shouldn't).
    In the sense that it spreads the word and puts more pressure on governments. At least that's the aim.

ReputationRep:
    In the sense that it spreads the word and puts more pressure on governments. At least that's the aim.
    Spreads the word? Maybe, but unlikely. The only people who see it are likely to be your friends, if they're your friends then they probably already share your views so you'd be preaching to the choir.

Put pressure on the Gov? Not a chance. Zero effect in that department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Spreads the word? Maybe, but unlikely. The only people who see it are likely to be your friends, if they're your friends then they probably already share your views so you'd be preaching to the choir.

Put pressure on the Gov? Not a chance. Zero effect in that department.
    While I do disagree that it does anything, I think you're looking at it slightly differently. If everyone puts it up, friends of friends and their friends etc. see it. More people will campaign against it getting more news headlines leading to more pressure being put on NGOs and governments.

ReputationRep:
    While I do disagree that it does anything, I think you're looking at it slightly differently. If everyone puts it up, friends of friends and their friends etc. see it. More people will campaign against it getting more news headlines leading to more pressure being put on NGOs and governments.
    I cannot understand anyone who thinks it actually has any effect whatsoever, I'm sorry, but people who think that are living in a delusion.

ReputationRep:
    Any uniform decision taken by many will bring attention upon itself, it achieves aims akin to those in the minds of protestors.. a heightened awareness and acknowledgement of certain issues

ReputationRep:
    No.

Nobody campaigns to 'raise awareness' and I hate people talking about 'awareness campaigns'. Your campaign goals should be raising money to fund research, successfully lobbying for changes in legislation, or changing the actions/behaviours of individuals or groups of people for the better. 'Awareness' is a means, not an end.

You change your display picture to make me 'aware' of breast cancer. Ok, I'm aware of it. Success? No, you've got no more money, no new volunteer, and no support in-kind.

It encourages slacktivism/armchair activism. People feel good about themselves and appear to others to be supporting a cause, but most people are already 'aware' of the issue.

As this campaign puts it, "Liking isn't helping.":

ReputationRep:
    No.

"Likes" do help though.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. It's all about appearing to be a social warrior. Many people think that changing their facebook display picture is their "charitable act" for the year, then of course everyone jumps on the bandwagon, although no one has actually been helped.

The exception to this was the one where all the girls on facebook posted a picture without makeup because part of that was donations. That was actually pretty commendable.

The thing that gets me more than anything is the insufferable keyboard warriors who spam my facebook with petitions to end child slavery in some remote location or whatever. Do you seriously think these foreign banana republics give a **** about some white western kid's signature on an online petition? You might as well piss into the wind.

ReputationRep:
    Spreading "awareness" is routinely a fraud. Raising awareness about breast cancer, as an example, has no other function as to drive more unsuspecting women into getting more expensive and unnecessary tests (think mammography) and then, often, cancer treatments.

And this fraud is well organized. The so-called cancer charities are big self-serving businesses with financial ties to the medical industry, helping them to drive new customers to their lucrative business (
    read the epilogue of this article: http://www.supplements-and-health.com/mammogram.html ). You'll recognize the fraud once you are "aware" that the pink ribbon movement and the breast cancer awareness day was started by the cancer industry.

ReputationRep:
    Spreading

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.