Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is all I can find about the Cabinet reshuffle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ote-women.html

Apparently David Cameron wants to promote women ahead of the general election.

Ken Clarke has lost his role as a minister.
    But the one that stood out for me is the fact that Owen Paterson has apparently lost his role as environment secretary. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him.

ReputationRep:
    Ken Clarke (Without Portfolio) and David Jones (Wales) are the only released ones so far.

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed to William Hague stand down as he was the only senior minister I had any time for.

ReputationRep:
    Shocked IDS appears to be staying.
    Interested to see what happens with Ian Duncan.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    More up to date information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28291281

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed Paterson gets the chop. An environment minister who doesn't believe in climate change is a farce.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Fingers crossed Paterson gets the chop. An environment minister who doesn't believe in climate change is a farce.
    He has. Some are angry about him losing his job as environment secretary not because he did a good job (of course he didn't), but because he is a Euroskeptic. Because apparently that is the point of the environment secretary.

He doesn't believe in climate change. He tried to defend bee killing pesticides when the EU banned them. He also thinks it's fine to destroy ancient woodland if you plant a few trees on a field somewhere to "offset" it, which was criticised by groups like the woodland trust.

Fingers crossed he is replaced by someone more suited to the role.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    IDS and Owen 'The badgers moved the goalposts' Patterson are by far 2 of the least component ministers seen and that's with Blair having 100 new ministers appointed every month.

Sad that Willets got the chop, he needs a promotion.

Gove looks like getting a promotion, he's turned up. Shame as I wanted an Ed Sec that actually stayed long enough to see the success or failure of his policies.

Horrid that Hague has chosen to go.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Hague will return to politics in 2019 to be our EU commissioner.

ReputationRep:
    disappointing that hague has left, I had time for what he said, definitely one of the best of today's bunch. although im sure its tactical for him to snipe a higher role

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    I reckon Hague will return to politics in 2019 to be our EU commissioner.
    I doubt it. That job comprises everything about politics that Hague has come to dislike. Instead of changing the world, life is spent arguing about the bend in a banana with 28 self-interested governments.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I doubt it. That job comprises everything about politics that Hague has come to dislike. Instead of changing the world, life is spent arguing about the bend in a banana with 28 self-interested governments.
    Given his passion for foreign affairs I could see him being a UN envoy. He was making a million a year before he came back though so a few books and the speaking tour is likely.

ReputationRep:
    Gove has been moved to Chief Whip, at least he will be effective there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Gove has been moved to Chief Whip, at least he will be effective there.
    Good lord. Gove, Hague and Willets were by far the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Good lord. Gove, Hague and Willets were by far the best.
    Personally Pickles has been my fav. There was comment on Newsnight about Hague and a lack of legacy from his time at the FCO, I kinda see that as a good thing.

Gove has been pretty effective in implementing his reforms, but some of his policies have stunk. Kinda the opposite of IDS IMHO *arggggg why hasn't IDS been sacked already!?!*

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the logic of putting more women in the cabinet just before the general election. It's such an obvious ruse and I don't think anybody will fall for it. If the women were competent, they would have been in the cabinet in the first place, like Theresa May.

Shame Hague is leaving, he was probably my favourite cabinet minister.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Personally Pickles has been my fav. There was comment on Newsnight about Hague and a lack of legacy from his time at the FCO, I kinda see that as a good thing.

Gove has been pretty effective in implementing his reforms, but some of his policies have stunk. Kinda the opposite of IDS IMHO *arggggg why hasn't IDS been sacked already!?!*
    Yeah, he works very well and quietly considering what troubles the massive local government cuts could have caused.

Minor things like modular examinations and scrapping coursework were the wrong calls but he's the first ed sec in decades to realize that pushing kids to be the very best is what schools exist for rather than some left-libertarian notion that its primary purpose is to be some hippy camp where people discover themselves. For arresting grade inflation and scrapping all but 1 resit he has my admiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Minor things like modular examinations and scrapping coursework were the wrong calls but he's the first ed sec in decades to realize that pushing kids to be the very best is what schools exist for rather than some left-libertarian notion that its primary purpose is to be some hippy camp where people discover themselves. For arresting grade inflation and scrapping all but 1 resit he has my admiration.
    I agree with that, its the misguided free schools agenda and the bizzare change from marking GCSEs from 1-8 rather than A*-G.

The just things like when he went a bit rouge and started using gmail in order to try and avoid FoI :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ultimately Gove has, and IDS has not, broken the first law of political success. You must remain popular with the people whom you want to vote for you.

Gove has halved Conservative support from the teaching profession (from 20-10%) in four years and a very large percentage of middle class families contain at least one teacher. His support amongst state school parents is not high and the business with term time holidays has not helped. Cameron will be having feedback from pollsters on why swing voters won't vote Conservative. Gove will be high on that list. Essentially he is always seen as playing politics and people don't like that with their children.

IDS is really only unpopular with people who aren't going to vote Tory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Gove has halved Conservative support from the teaching profession (from 20-10%)
    Well, that's certainly something to cry about!

I think Gove was effective precisely because he would ignore the day-to-day polls and focus on the long term direction of institutions. The teaching establishment is 80% anti-Conservative for institutional reasons; it was regarded as a Conservative bastion pre-1945 for instance. Gove has made some moves to establish a teaching profession is that not a paid adjunct of the government.

The alternative is to try to appease a hostile establishment by implementing more and more of your enemies' policies. Eventually you either survive by becoming a more effective vehicle for your enemies' ideas than them, or at some point you refuse to compromise further and slink away to die quietly. Look at what happened to the Liberal Party.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.