Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've started playing more and more sports and I'm worried that a lack of proper recovery will lead to an injury.

At the moment, my week looks like this:

Monday - Futsal for 5-6, then gym 8 - 9 for weight training.
    Tuesday - Touch rugby for one hour
    Wednesday - Gym at lunch (12-1) then 7 a side football from 5.30 - 6.30
    Thursday - Gym 5 - 6
    Friday - Gym at lunch then 5 a side footy in the evening for an hour.
    Saturday - Usually nothing
    Sunday - Football for 2 hours, 7 a side (this is new, only been doing this two weeks).

Are there any sort of precautions and post workout/training recovery exercises and things I should be doing to prevent injuries to my muscles and joints?

I do like exercising and I know that I'll get really lazy and fat if I stop for 2 months or so due to injury.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking your body should get conditioned to the workload if you're consistent with it.

I don't think there will be any risk of injury if you're eating enough calories and getting enough sleep. I personally am used to doing heavy weights every other day, and medium intensity cardio pretty much every day too. But I stretch before and after working out, and warm up sufficiently too.

For your legs you could try foam rolling afterwards, but make sure you do it correctly and not just go "up and down", since you need to massage the muscle fibres in the right direction, or you may end up just tightening them.

I think if your body ends up hurting for extended periods (days), then that's a sign to cut back a bit too.

ReputationRep:
    omega 3 for joints

ReputationRep:
    Baths.
    Just get a toy battleship to make it more manly.

ReputationRep:
    IGF-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doob)
    IGF-1
    lel

ReputationRep:
    Stretching, eating enough, lots of sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFlash1994)
    Generally speaking your body should get conditioned to the workload if you're consistent with it.

I don't think there will be any risk of injury if you're eating enough calories and getting enough sleep. I personally am used to doing heavy weights every other day, and medium intensity cardio pretty much every day too. But I stretch before and after working out, and warm up sufficiently too.

For your legs you could try foam rolling afterwards, but make sure you do it correctly and not just go "up and down", since you need to massage the muscle fibres in the right direction, or you may end up just tightening them.

I think if your body ends up hurting for extended periods (days), then that's a sign to cut back a bit too.
    I'm assuming I can just Google/Youtube how to foam roll my legs properly. At the moment I just literally go up and down, I never realised that there was a technique to it.

What do you do for your warm up and stretches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    I'm assuming I can just Google/Youtube how to foam roll my legs properly. At the moment I just literally go up and down, I never realised that there was a technique to it.

What do you do for your warm up and stretches?
    Yeah you might have to look around a bit. The guy in this video seems to make a good argument, it doesn't sound like broscience to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq6NcAoQDSk

I personally have a lot of neck problems so I stretch that area quite a lot, otherwise just static tricept, chest, lat, lower back, bicep stretches etc. And I repeat when I finish too. Legs I just do static quad, hamstring, and glute stretches. Then a couple of mins of dynamic stretching like a very light jog or cycling. After cardio I repeat the static leg stretches, and after doing squats or something I cycle for 10 mins to get the lactic acid out and prevent a bit of soreness the next day.

For other heavy lifts I do a few rotator cuff exercises to warm up too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.