Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is probably just me being daft, but I just need to confirm that I'm actually doing the right course for a CS degree.

This is the access course I've chosen: http://www.lesoco.ac.uk/courseshome-...s-to-computing

And here's the entry requirements page for the CS BSc at King's: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/unde...header_search/

The only reason I'm being pedantic is because the Access course summary page says "this course suits those interested in progressing on to study a Computing and IT course"; last time I checked, Computing and IT != Computer Science.

Are they just using the terms interchangeably? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A week ago, I called the admission team of university of surrey(currently 13th on top 100 UK) asking info about the entry requirements for both Computer Science BSc and Economics and Accounting(I think) first year undergraduate course and I was quite surprised by her answer. The caller (I assume a woman) firstly said that i'll need GCSE English Language and Mathematics at grade C or above (or equivalent) and then for access to HE students,
    30 or 40 credits ( cant remember properly sorry) Level 3 at Distinction, with the remaining Level 3 credits at Merit regardless of any access subjects I am doing and it has to be 60 credits all together level 3...yes litterally, I asked them are you sure I don't need a specific subject like example business Access for Finance and Accounting degree or computing access for CS degree, she said no just need an access to HE level 3 course with the above required credits. I also made an enquiry via email to Lancaster University (again top uni, 11th) about the same issue and the reply 'Thank you for your email and interest in the Lancaster University Management School. We do typically accept the Access to Higher Education for entry onto our degree programmes. For entry onto N400 BSc Accounting and Finance we currently typically require 30 Level 3 credits at Distinction, with the remaining Level 3 credits at Merit.' As you can see here, they did not mention a specific access subject for the degree. I think it would best for you to call the uni you want to apply and ask them the entry requirements for an access students or some will mention it on their website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.