The Student Room Group

Refurbished laptop?

I was looking at these refurbished laptops, and this one caught my eye: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Refurbished_Grade_A1_Asus_VIVOBOOK_V550CA_Core_i3_6GB_1TB_Windows_8_Laptop__a1-V550CA-CJ104H/version.asp - could anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I'm not very good at laptop buying :tongue: I'm looking for one for uni, for doing work and browsing internet, watching films etc. Just something reliable, light and with good battery life for the least amount of pennies :biggrin:
solid laptop ^_^ good price.
Original post by krst02
I was looking at these refurbished laptops, and this one caught my eye: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Refurbished_Grade_A1_Asus_VIVOBOOK_V550CA_Core_i3_6GB_1TB_Windows_8_Laptop__a1-V550CA-CJ104H/version.asp - could anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I'm not very good at laptop buying :tongue: I'm looking for one for uni, for doing work and browsing internet, watching films etc. Just something reliable, light and with good battery life for the least amount of pennies :biggrin:

At first I thought it looked good, but then saw it is a 2nd generation processor, so for the money I'd hold off and always look for the processor number beginning with 4, this one is 2365M, if it is 3rd generation for a great price then yes, but I think 2nd is a bit far back now.

Something like this maybe?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-e1-572-15-6-laptop-iron-22081527-pdt.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by leedswest
At first I thought it looked good, but then saw it is a 2nd generation processor, so for the money I'd hold off and always look for the processor number beginning with 4, this one is 2365M, if it is 3rd generation for a great price then yes, but I think 2nd is a bit far back now.

Something like this maybe?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-e1-572-15-6-laptop-iron-22081527-pdt.html

Ah ok, will the older processor make a huge difference to its performance? Thanks for the link, I was looking to spend no more than £300 if possible but will def consider it :-)
Original post by krst02
Ah ok, will the older processor make a huge difference to its performance? Thanks for the link, I was looking to spend no more than £300 if possible but will def consider it :-)

At first it will make no difference, but over time, and that can be months to years it will. For example my laptop is from 2012 and it is starting to struggle with fullscreen HD video, i.e. the fans kicking in. For the price it's 'good', but not as good as past deals i've seen. Keep a look out on here http://www.hotukdeals.com
Reply 5
At first it will make no difference, but over time, and that can be months to years it will. For example my laptop is from 2012 and it is starting to struggle with fullscreen HD video, i.e. the fans kicking in. For the price it's 'good', but not as good as past deals i've seen. Keep a look out on here http://www.hotukdeals.com

Okay, will do - thanks!
Original post by krst02

Agree with Leeds here, my laptop has a 3rd gen Intel i3 and it stutters slightly playing full screen HD videos from YouTube. The stutters aren't very often but I do notice them. My i5 3rd gen is a lot better but it's a bit overkill as a family laptop and it runs Windows 8.1 (can't stand it). However it stutters majorly when playing 1440p content from YouTube even though it looks significantly better, the stuttering just takes away the experience.

Sorry got a bit sidetracked there.

Also if all you're doing is browsing and video watching etc. Why not buy a large tablet. Obviously this depends on what kind of course you are doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by simpletech668
Agree with Leeds here, my laptop has a 3rd gen Intel i3 and it stutters slightly playing full screen HD videos from YouTube. The stutters aren't very often but I do notice them. My i5 3rd gen is a lot better but it's a bit overkill as a family laptop and it runs Windows 8.1 (can't stand it). However it stutters majorly when playing 1440p content from YouTube even though it looks significantly better, the stuttering just takes away the experience.

Sorry got a bit sidetracked there.

Also if all you're doing is browsing and video watching etc. Why not buy a large tablet. Obviously this depends on what kind of course you are doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Well, I have no idea what the processor is on my current laptop but at this point it's so slow anything would better! I have to use it plugged in without a battery it gets so hot and it lags like crazy.

I'm doing Speech & Lang Therapy so I'd need a laptop for typing essays etc. Couldn't stick typing on a tablet. I've been looking at Chromebooks because they have such great reviews but am dubious about the cloud storage...
Original post by krst02
I see. Well, I have no idea what the processor is on my current laptop but at this point it's so slow anything would better! I have to use it plugged in without a battery it gets so hot and it lags like crazy.

I'm doing Speech & Lang Therapy so I'd need a laptop for typing essays etc. Couldn't stick typing on a tablet. I've been looking at Chromebooks because they have such great reviews but am dubious about the cloud storage...

Easily can hook up a Bluetooth keyboard for wireless use the only problem being portability but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle or get one that clips on for greater portability.

Chromebooks are really good for browsing, watching videos etc. They just lack the ability for proper photo editing or video editing or anything that requires high end hardware like on a desktop. For your needs they're perfect. Cloud storage does not have to be used. You can always purchase external hard drives, relatively cheaply. There's definitely work arounds. One thing that is preventing me from getting one is that I need a higher end system for compiling code etc. But there is no Skype and the only other option is hangouts which is decent if everyone you know has a Gmail account else it is useless.

Everything else is catered for. Also, if you are getting a chromebook bear in mind that for most things to work, you NEED an Internet connection. You can edit documents etc. But you cannot save it until you get an Internet connection. There's a lot of articles about, just do a quick Google search but make sure you're okay with the possible drawbacks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending