Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There was this girl that I liked at Uni, and she liked me also. However, I was too shy back then to ask her out (even though she liked me). Infact, she liked me for 3 years at Uni but was just so low on confidence that I didn't bother doing anything about it. Even when she was with her previous boyfriend I was told she still liked me. She's just came out of a 1.5 year relationship with a different guy and we haven't spoken for the best part of nearly 2 years. I recently just got in touch just asking how she is etc...from personal experience or just personal opinion, do people still think I have a chance?

Just a disclaimer, there have been may girls since her in the form of admirers, gf etc but she's always the person I look back on...I don't know why. Her best friend also liked(s) me, so yh just a bit awkward really.

Advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Good God man, do it! What's the worst that could happen? If a girl likes you and you like them, life is to short for them to become a giant 'what if'? Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    give it a try send her a message on facebook in a chatty friendly way and ask her if she wants to meet up in a coffee shop nearby or get to know her more online and then agree to meet up

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be funny or awkward with you but come on really, how do we know?

I understand these forums are at best a place for people to talk about their problem and for others to listen and give advice but how are we meant to know what your chances are, we can't read people's minds; particularly when the scenario given is vague and relies on facts such as "we haven't spoke for 2 years".

You are basically strangers again, so this time make your chance count and approach her. If it doesn't work out, at least you can say you tried.

ReputationRep:
    Piks?

ReputationRep:
    No OP don't do it. Don't risk the friendship you currently have. It's not worth losing that great person that you chat to once every 14 years.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her out for a drink. What have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a chance? Yes. Is it a high chance? No. Should you maintain the friendship? Yes. You never know, your friendship could develop into a relationship. My advice is to continue building the friendship but don't hold off admitting your feelings when you have that strong friendship.

(Original post by lee1985)
    I'm not trying to be funny or awkward with you but come on really, how do we know?

I understand these forums are at best a place for people to talk about their problem and for others to listen and give advice but how are we meant to know what your chances are, we can't read people's minds; particularly when the scenario given is vague and relies on facts such as "we haven't spoke for 2 years".

You are basically strangers again, so this time make your chance count and approach her. If it doesn't work out, at least you can say you tried.
    I figured i'd get a response like this. And yes, it's totally understandable if you don't know the context.But I guess what I was trying to get at is if people have had similar experiences etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I figured i'd get a response like this. And yes, it's totally understandable if you don't know the context.But I guess what I was trying to get at is if people have had similar experiences etc
    Well, yes I had a similar experience around two years ago and the girl didn't even want to know me. She ignored me several times even when she'd read my messages via Facebook, I tried to talk the best I could and ended up saying like you know come on we're adults and it would be nice to remain civil I'm not asking much I just don't like losing people and still no response. Some people are just ignorant and have moved on. However I never mentioned this as I don't want it damaging your confidence!

ReputationRep:
    You should ask her out! Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow what a second. All these people are telling you to go for it but be careful. She's been in a relationship for a long-time. You have to make sure you're not the stepping-stone or the person starving off loneliness.

First step: establish a friendship again. Talk, go out, don't make it more than that. Feel it out, see where she's at. The worst thing you can do is get involved romantically with someone who's still being effected by their ex.

Well, we're going for a coffee which should be good. Then will take it from there. Tbh, don't really want to rush anything as she's just come out of a relationship. Would rather just get to know her again and take it from there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.