Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

I really need some advice. So earlier this year I unfortunately began to suffer from severe depression. It happened really suddenly and I couldn't explain why I was feeling so bad. I missed about a 3+ months of college and my attendance was shocking. And my school weren't supportive at all.. they pretty much wrote me off and left me to carry on being sick. After eventually going to the GP/ getting counselling ect. They found out I was severely anaemic, and vitamin deficient. So I started treatment and am now feeling a lot better!

BUT obviously this had a major impact on my IB grades.. And I sadly only achieved 32 with 7 in biology (which I'm happy about) but 4 in chemistry. When I was predicted much higher.

I still so badly want to do medicine.. Im getting some remarked to try bring up my score but I'm worried about how unis will:

Firstly, take to the fact that I will be a retake applicant because I know that most don't really like that. Especially seeing as I did IB so unlike A levels I don't have AS to prove that I have academic ability.

And Secondly, how the universities will accept me if I try to appeal with mitigating circumstances as Im not sure if what happened to me is acceptable?

Do you have any advice on my situation?? Like I said before my school is being really unhelpful and won't offer me any advice or help so I'm so lost and confused!!

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunRiseAtDawn)
    Hey Guys!

I really need some advice. So earlier this year I unfortunately began to suffer from severe depression. It happened really suddenly and I couldn't explain why I was feeling so bad. I missed about a 3+ months of college and my attendance was shocking. And my school weren't supportive at all.. they pretty much wrote me off and left me to carry on being sick. After eventually going to the GP/ getting counselling ect. They found out I was severely anaemic, and vitamin deficient. So I started treatment and am now feeling a lot better!

BUT obviously this had a major impact on my IB grades.. And I sadly only achieved 32 with 7 in biology (which I'm happy about) but 4 in chemistry. When I was predicted much higher.

I still so badly want to do medicine.. Im getting some remarked to try bring up my score but I'm worried about how unis will:

Firstly, take to the fact that I will be a retake applicant because I know that most don't really like that. Especially seeing as I did IB so unlike A levels I don't have AS to prove that I have academic ability.

And Secondly, how the universities will accept me if I try to appeal with mitigating circumstances as Im not sure if what happened to me is acceptable?

Do you have any advice on my situation?? Like I said before my school is being really unhelpful and won't offer me any advice or help so I'm so lost and confused!!

Thank you!!
    Id say email the unis themselves! Im not quite sure on how it worls as in if they will accept your lower score or expect you to resit. But obviously you have a genuine medical reason here which would qualify as mitagating circunstances. Maybe you could contact your exam board before you get your exams remarked with a letter from gp confirmig etc. Different unis have different policies id say type a generic email saying exactly what you have said here and just send it to all of them and wait for a response

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i suffered from mild depression but didnt contact my gp or anyone i take it its too late to do something about it?
    lots of small issues just built up to a lot and i got depressed and barely ate etc but i didnt ask for.help cos i was scared to ask for.hlp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)
    If i suffered from mild depression but didnt contact my gp or anyone i take it its too late to do something about it?
    lots of small issues just built up to a lot and i got depressed and barely ate etc but i didnt ask for.help cos i was scared to ask for.hlp

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im not quite sure what happens if you dont have medical confirmation :/ best to speak to unis directly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I literally had the same situation as you, I also had depression and missed about 2 months of school but I haven't applied with the mitigating circumstances form yet so I can't give much advice there, all I'll say is that they will certainly be more sympathetic towards your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was in the exact same situation, I never told anybody about my depression but neither did I apply with mitigating circumstances I'm not sure, you must ask your GP for help.

ReputationRep:
    You should have told them earlier. Before your exams or at least during you exams. But there is still hope. Get a letter from your college confirming that you have missed lesson and your doctor as well and send it to the uni. It could work.

ReputationRep:
    None of this information will carry any weight coming from you. It must be put in the Ucas reference as independent verification, and that can't be done without accompanying evidence from a GP/other medical sources. You need to discuss this with your referees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    I was in the exact same situation, I never told anybody about my depression but neither did I apply with mitigating circumstances I'm not sure, you must ask your GP for help.
    i probably wont apply with mitigating circumstances either

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.