Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to University of Bradford in September to study Information Communication Technology. I've been told by a few students (who don't do my course, mind you) that they have found having their own printer in their room useful for convenience and accessibility. But seeing as my course could potentially require printing out of documents on hard copy, would it be wise to buy a printer? I'm only going to be spending at most £50 initially but just wondering if it'll be worth it to keep it running throughout the year if I don't even need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassicles)
    I'm going to University of Bradford in September to study Information Communication Technology. I've been told by a few students (who don't do my course, mind you) that they have found having their own printer in their room useful for convenience and accessibility. But seeing as my course could potentially require printing out of documents on hard copy, would it be wise to buy a printer? I'm only going to be spending at most £50 initially but just wondering if it'll be worth it to keep it running throughout the year if I don't even need it.

Printers on that budget will be very poor quality. Cheap printers tend to have lots of issues with connecting to the computer, and of course the ink is very expensive.

There will be lots of computers at your uni where you can go in and print something off for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdude)
    Printers on that budget will be very poor quality. Cheap printers tend to have lots of issues with connecting to the computer, and of course the ink is very expensive.

There will be lots of computers at your uni where you can go in and print something off for free
    Thanks for the reply. I might just leave it and see what it's like when I get there in September. If I do need it, I'll rally up my flatmates and we'll buy one together :P

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've got one you can bring with you, you're probably better off just using the uni printers. It will cost about 7p per page of black and white, so it probably won't be worth getting your own printer in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe find out how much printing costs at the uni and if you have an idea how much you are likely to print you can see if it's worth it or not. I'd personally prefer my own printer but we wary of what others have said - the printer might be cheap but the ink/toner expensive!

ReputationRep:
    I did have a printer but I barely did much printing at all in my 1st year doing Computer Science, everything is pretty much submitted and done online (well at Bangor University anyway). ​I'd suggest using the University's printers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.