Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I want to start volunteering this summer in a charity shop, and I've just applied to my local Oxfam, so I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

I was just wondering if anyone here has volunteered at a charity shop, and if so, what their experiences were, how it benefit them and so on? Did you have an interview before you started? Any other general tips?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to volunteer to Oxfam last year. Never replied.

I went to British Heart Foundation charity shop to volunteer instead. It gets REALLY boring because all they told me to do is stand in the shop floor and
    "keep everything neat". I did some tagging and ironing but everything gets repetitive so I quit after like 3 months lol...

I worked there once. Highly corrupt with everyone stealing stuff, including some of the older customers, and quite boring tasks. You can usually get first buy option on the good stuff that comes through though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peaches and Cream)
    Hi everyone! I want to start volunteering this summer in a charity shop, and I've just applied to my local Oxfam, so I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

I was just wondering if anyone here has volunteered at a charity shop, and if so, what their experiences were, how it benefit them and so on? Did you have an interview before you started? Any other general tips?

Thank you!
    I worked in the Cancer Research shop for the summer during college, it was boring and no employer cares. I basically wasted my time, they care more about my month at Next, then my almost 4 months at Cancer Research :confused:

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    I've been at my local charity shop- Barnardo's for nearly two years now.
    I must admit my hours have been minimal- only a few hours a week.
    Yet i have really enjoyed it! everyone there is very nice and the atmosphere is relaxed
    I've done about 120 hours in total!
    I have had various roles such as sorting donations, steaming clothes and now i am on the till on the shop floor.
    Every week it is different!
    An experience i will never forget was when a lady came in ask for a school cloakroom hanger- the sort you have in lower school and hang your bags on (the wooden ones with metal pegs)
    The lady i served before her who had just left the shop had left the exact item she wanted!
    i couldnt quite believe it :O The lady was very happy
    YES i had to have an interview before but mine was just like a chat

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    I volunteered for around a year at my local Cancer Research UK charity shop...and it was pretty dull to be honest. The sorting, tagging and steaming of clothes can get pretty boring after a while, and you do get some weird people strolling around town early on a Saturday morning (drunks, basically). The best bit is probably working on the till as you get to interact with the customers more, but it should be al right, as long as there are other people of a similar age also volunteering. My experience was probably made worse by the fact that the managers kept on changing, the shop ended up in quite a state and people eventually got accused of stealing...but apart from that, it was decent :P

ReputationRep:
    I've been volunteering at an Oxfam bookshop for about two years now, and personally enjoy it. The atmosphere is relaxed, the customers are very polite and love chatting to you (which can make shifts pass just that little bit quicker..). The tasks can get a bit repetitive though, as there isn't much to do other than till work, pricing, sorting and restocking. But that's not really anything different from normal retail work. Although I do work with just books, and the odd collection of CDs and DVDs (which suits me as a bit of a book lover). It might be a slightly different experience if clothes or other stock (jewellery, houseware, etc) were involved.. Different kinds of jobs to do I imagine.

I found though, that working in a charity shop really benefited me when it came to looking for a part time job. They were interested in seeing that I already had basic customer skills and had handled money/used a till before. So for me, I definitely got a lot out of volunteering.

And no, I didn't really have an interview, they just asked me to come in and fill out a few forms. They did ask me a couple general questions about why I wanted to volunteer, but they were more out of interest than anything else. They also got back to me really quickly and had no problems with me fitting shifts around my school timetable.

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    I volunteered at my local CLIC Sargent charity shop for over a year and I really enjoyed it my experiences were really good, I was mainly assigned to doing the sorting, hanging, tagging, steaming and pricing at first and then after a few weeks they taught me how to use the till and I was out front serving customers who were always friendly!

I think it has benefited me because it gave me experience and skills that employers look for and also made my application stand out to others especially as I volunteered for over a year. The interviews I have been on for jobs since have always been interested in hearing what experience the volunteering has given me.

Yep I had an interview for working in the shop but it was really simple and relaxed. They mainly just asked why I am interested in volunteering, how long I think I may be interested and when I would like to work (they were very flexible)

Hope this helps!
    Natasha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered at Children's Hospice for a year, there was no interview and it was awesome. The staff and other volunteers were lovely, though mostly older women! I went out for a Christmas meal with them and everything.

Did loads of different things like tidying the shop, tagging and steaming clothes, putting clothes out, working on the tills, putting money into the bank and so on.

Went for a job interview at Primark the other day and this was my only experience I had and it got me the job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so surprised with a few of the responses to this post. I've been at my charity shop for about 10 months and I really enjoy it. I think it's the people who make it, one of the ladies has seen my confidence go from strength to strength and honestly I am a different person now. She is one of the funniest loveliest people I have ever met and makes me laugh every time I'm there. The tasks are only boring and repetitive if you make them, I'm always making new sections and signs and having sale days and thinking of new ways to make money. I know a lot of people do it to put on applications and for volunteering hours but I would have done it again just for the confidence I have gained.
    On the side of applications, it helped me get into college and they wanted to hear more about my experiences and I had a lot to say about it so I think they were impressed.
    My advice to anyone considering, do it! Just to say you tried it if nothing else, if you don't enjoy it move to another charity shop.

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    I do lots of voluntary work but not in charity shops. Mine is probably harder work than charity shops but it is waaaaaaaay more fun feel free to pm me if you want some.ideas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am 16 and I have decided to volunteer as I am finding it hard to get an actual job at the moment as nowhere seems to be offering weekend work at the moment. I was planning on volunteering at my local Oxfam, but I can't decide between volunteering at the Oxfam bookshop or just the Oxfam shop. Has anyone volunteered at Oxfam before? Are they quite flexible about when and for how many hours you volunteer for? I want to volunteer on Saturdays. Do you think Oxfam is good to volunteer for?-my other option is the Red Cross shop

ReputationRep:
    i currently work as a volunteer at british heart foundation, I have been here a month, its a good experience i work in the warehouse because we are a furnature shop. Everyone is really friendly and its a chilled out place

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. The old lady who was in charge seemed nice but was actually evil. She always made me work at the counter which was boring

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I have always wanted to volunteer at charity shops! What are the requirements to volunteer at one? I'm an international student and I don't have a work permit or anything of sort, just my passport and a student Visa. But I can speak English well. Does that help? I really wanna make most of my stay here in UK so I might as well gain experience working here as well as making connections with the locals. I must say, British people are one of the friendliest lot I've been with!
    Any helpful advice? I would be very grateful! xxx

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.