Just curious: ancient Greece. Watch

Gibus_pyro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i was just wondering, did the oedipus thing actually happen? or did Sophocles just make up the story? or did he write the play about it because it actually happened like Shakespeare's historys?
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gibus_pyro)
So i was just wondering, did the oedipus thing actually happen? or did Sophocles just make up the story? or did he write the play about it because it actually happened like Shakespeare's historys?
I haven't finished Oedipus, I liked reading it though. I'd be interested to find out though... I kind of doubt it's real though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gibus_pyro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
I haven't finished Oedipus, I liked reading it though. I'd be interested to find out though... I kind of doubt it's real though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeah i know i meant is it real in the sense in the sense that the greek gods were 'real' ie people actually believed it at some point. and yeah it was one of the best things I've read for ages.
Mieka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oedipus was a mythical king of Thebes. Sophocles wrote it as a narrative of Greek values and Ethics at the time.
brendonbackflip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's based on a general myth that everyone knew, Sophocles took that idea and put it into his play. Pretty common thing for tragedy writers to do at the time.
CAROLAL1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course not It's full of myths and magical stuff .. I mean some professors do suggest sometimes some tragedies are based on true events but I guess that's not case ^^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%