Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the EU Commission actively favour female candidates? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the EU Commission actively favour female candidates?
    I am a feminist and I think the Commission should favour females
    20.00%
    I am a feminist and I think the Commission should be totally gender-blind
    20.00%
    I am not a feminist and I think the Commission should favour females
    0%
    I am not a feminist and I think the Commission should be totally gender-blind
    60.00%

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious about whether those who identify as moderate feminists agree with this.

Simple questions. Should the EU Commission:

a) be taking gender into account when considering candidates
    b) be taking it into account to such an extent that the President, Juncker, actively overrides the first choice nominee of individual countries purely to meet a gender threshold?

The article:

But 10 countries [of 28] have already announced names before the European Parliament has voted on Mr Juncker's candidacy. There are some heavy hitters in there, three former prime ministers among them.

But there's one major problem. All the nominees are men.

Mr Juncker has made it clear that he wants at least as many women Commissioners as the nine appointed by Jose Manuel Barroso in 2009.

He's asked every country to give him two names, so he can shuffle his choices - but some governments are clearly ignoring him. (He might want to get used to that.)

The current women on the Commission sent Mr Juncker an open letter last week urging him to make sure there are at least 10 female Commissioners (why not go for parity and say 14?).

It now looks like he's going to have to lean on some smaller countries to make sure he gets the balance he needs.

ReputationRep:
    All men, who cares. Same reason why women can't cut it in sports, they're inferior.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.