Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just wanna hear from those who have/ are in LDR's. How do you guys/girls cope, is it easy and do you or have you ever looked at another girl or guy from uni and developed feelings for them even though you're sure your hearts set on your love back home? thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's literally the most difficult thing ever. If you're not sad due to an argument about some communication issue/not being able to see each other etc. you're sad because you miss them.

Sorry to be a downer but it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Im in an LDR, we're separated by like 220 miles. Its really hard but we make it work. I like my personal space so being away from my boyfriend can sometimes be good. Over the three months of being together, we've seen each other 3 times a month, mainly a week at a time so thats like 9 weeks we've spent together out of a possible 12. It can work, you just need to have good communication skills x

ReputationRep:
    I was seeing a guy at uni but he returned to the US after two years and we kept the relationship going via visists frequently but Skype/Facetime, texts, phone calls all helped.

As for looking at others, being bi he was accepting of me banging girls but not other boys lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LDRs are the most difficult type of relationship to conquer. I've been in four serious relationships over 10 years, three of them long distance each over roughly 4 hours/200miles.

I've been far from perfect. At first I was very controlling and jealous. I tried to own her, and tell her what to do. I tried to make her mine, and be her 'boss' as it was in my head. Obviously I learnt that's the most ridiculous thing to do.

LDRs need serious trust, and honesty. You need to be incredibly passionate and dedicated. You can't just say to yourself I really like this girl I've known her a while let's go for it. It's not really about how much you love someone. You can love them as much as you possibly do so in life but if you haven't got the necessary personality and skills (such as time, trust, honesty, negotiation, patience) then forget it. LDRs are massive things to contend with. It goes far beyond just trusting someone, because there are so many different issues that you face which you wouldn't if you lived closer. Even when you're just talking about meeting up, it could turn into an argument "I always have to come to you, why don't you come here" and silly stuff like that. You really need to just be able to understand and cherish each other to the max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    It's literally the most difficult thing ever. If you're not sad due to an argument about some communication issue/not being able to see each other etc. you're sad because you miss them.

Sorry to be a downer but it sucks.
    But if we are having arguments when I'm far away won't they be x10 worse because of the distance? and if they're frequent enough won't I simply dislike talking with her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessiereadsbooks)
    Im in an LDR, we're separated by like 220 miles. Its really hard but we make it work. I like my personal space so being away from my boyfriend can sometimes be good. Over the three months of being together, we've seen each other 3 times a month, mainly a week at a time so thats like 9 weeks we've spent together out of a possible 12. It can work, you just need to have good communication skills x

Sorry to tell you but spending 3 weeks together every month hardly counts as an LDR

ReputationRep:
    LDR where you're in the same country aren't that bad its manageable. Where it starts to get hard is when you're in a whole new time zone to the other person. It requires a lot of effort from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Malevolent, it's definitely something that will test the both of you and if you're both really willing to commit completely because if either party doesn't then it's not going to work out. It's a test of how serious things are and how much you're willing to go through for your S/O. I'm in an LDR, 6000 miles apart (325 miles when I move back to London in Sept), 6 hours time difference and trust me, it's an emotional roller coaster. It's not for everyone and there are times when things get very,very difficult.

Trust and communication are very important because you won't be there with your S/O, you won't know where or what they are doing every single minute of the day and there are times when you won't get a reply instantly. For both my bf and I, we're both committed and trust each other completely so we don't seem to have any issues with other guys/girls. We've both said that we would communicate with the other if anything was going wrong because we're determined to make things work. All I can say is, you'll have to trust each other completely and be fully committed for it to work out.

On the bright side, I've heard that LDR can be extremely rewarding though I haven't experienced that myself yet. At least all I know is when you see each other again, it'd be the most amazing feeling in the world. You'll learn to appreciate time with each other so much more and you will never take anything for granted. Everyday you spend with your S/O will matter so much more and what you have, I guess you could say goes beyond the normal dating because of the lack of time and distance apart between you two so everything is much more special.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.