Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think we as a society need to decide what our fundamental, collective goal is. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is the continual emphasis towards technological progress meant to be a means towards a society that no longer has to work in the traditional sense so that we can pursue our own interests, or just a way of making the elite even richer by outsourcing to machines? Just like big business outsource labour to countries where they can get away with paying a much smaller wage.

Is GDP really a good indicator of how a country is doing? Is that what countries should be striving for - climbing the GDP league table? What about people's mental welfare? People who feel powerless in their part-time, 'flexible', minimum wage jobs where monotonous tasks are completed towards the end goal of perpetual consumerism from their customers. (we live on a planet with finite resources - mass consumption and waste cannot continue forever) Job satisfaction, chances for promotion and job stability in such jobs are very low. Sure the UK is forecast to be the 2nd largest economy in Europe by 2020, but will this really make the average person happier? Maybe we should focus more on the average happiness of the country rather than how successful our economy is.

And yes, world peace, eradication of poverty etc are all things that need to be taken care of too.

Human Development Index (HDI): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

HDI adjusted for inequality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y-adjusted_HDI

ReputationRep:
    GDP growth is meaningless without per capita GDP growth.

China, for example, has a far highr GDP than Britain but it's people are a lot poorer on average.

ReputationRep:
    Well our growth rate has slowed over recent years have people got happier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    GDP growth is meaningless without per capita GDP growth.

China, for example, has a far highr GDP than Britain but it's people are a lot poorer on average.
    Sure, but an individuals purchasing power still does not translate into well-being. If retail jobs became highly paid it still wouldn't change the nature of the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Well our growth rate has slowed over recent years have people got happier?
    I'm not sure what you're trying to get at? Just as increased growth doesn't translate into increased happiness, neither does slowed growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinetyOne)
    Sure, but an individuals purchasing power still does not translate into well-being. If retail jobs became highly paid it still wouldn't change the nature of the job.

True. But, it's far more likely a person will be happier if their personal wealth is going up.

If you were being paid a million pound a year for cleaning toilets, I am pretty sure you would be happy.

ReputationRep:
    The average British person is someone who doesn't believe in God who wants to live in a converted church in the country.

I honestly think that most British people of all walks of life have such cliched minds that its cities have mostly become soulless because one part of their brain is always on the far away idyll of country living- whether here or abroad. The last refuge of the imagination-free scoundrel.
    (Except if there is no God, therefore no soul that explains why the soul could go so quickly).

ReputationRep:
    We should be focusing on a scale of measurement for happiness or equality, not GDP.

ReputationRep:
    Is the continual emphasis towards technological progress meant to be a means towards a society that no longer has to work in the traditional sense so that we can pursue our own interests, or just a way of making the elite even richer by outsourcing to machines? Just like big business outsource labour to countries where they can get away with paying a much smaller wage.

Is GDP really a good indicator of how a country is doing? Is that what countries should be striving for - climbing the GDP league table? What about people's mental welfare? People who feel powerless in their part-time, 'flexible', minimum wage jobs where monotonous tasks are completed towards the end goal of perpetual consumerism from their customers. (we live on a planet with finite resources - mass consumption and waste cannot continue forever) Job satisfaction, chances for promotion and job stability in such jobs are very low. Sure the UK is forecast to be the 2nd largest economy in Europe by 2020, but will this really make the average person happier? Maybe we should focus more on the average happiness of the country rather than how successful our economy is.

And yes, world peace, eradication of poverty etc are all things that need to be taken care of too.
    I agree

lets start a movement :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    We should be focusing on a scale of measurement for happiness or equality, not GDP.
    Human Development Index (HDI): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

HDI adjusted for inequality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y-adjusted_HDI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    I agree

lets start a movement :P
    But that would actually require people moving :P

ReputationRep:

Ireland 7th!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    But that would actually require people moving :P
    why not rule your own life the way yeh want it then

lead by example..

on that topic...

btw I need advice if yeh could lend a hand
    Ireland 7th!!!!!
    youre irish?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the elite are the ones setting the goals and 'fixing' whatever problems they seem to think we have, so it's hardly a surprise that the direction we're going in is seemingly helping them. Sad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    why not rule your own life the way yeh want it then

lead by example..

on that topic...

btw I need advice if yeh could lend a hand

youre irish?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Yup
    explains the profile pic

ReputationRep:
    surely the "goal" of society is to not have an overall goal for everybody? surely we can decide our own independent and various goals as individual people? what are we, a bunch of sheep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    surely the "goal" of society is to not have an overall goal for everybody? surely we can decide our own independent and various goals as individual people? what are we, a bunch of sheep?
    You are an individual but you still live within a society. You don't live on some island on your own in the middle of nowhere where your actions don't effect anyone else but yourself. By your logic people should be allowed to go around raping people because they are "individual people" and can "decide on their own" what their goals in life are. But no, we as a society have decided that rape is wrong.

But other than that the amount of ignorance in your post is astounding to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    agree with title fully, but lazy = I'm not reading

ReputationRep:
    You are an individual but you still live within a society. You don't live on some island on your own in the middle of nowhere where your actions don't effect anyone else but yourself. By your logic people should be allowed to go around raping people because they are "individual people" and can "decide on their own" what their goals in life are. But no, we as a society have decided that rape is wrong.

But other than that the amount of ignorance in your post is astounding to say the least.
    all you're doing is taking my statement to a ridiculous extreme that obviously nobody, especially me, is suggesting. it's like if I said "I like equality" and you said "oh, you're a communist"~

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.