The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Anasim
Hey, I've applied for the same course. As well as Accounting (BSc). Do you have any idea what the course may be like? I've been trying to find out anything about the course but I'm having no luck whatsoever!

From what I can tell the Accounting & Finance course allows you to choose a varsity of modules such as economics or sociology.
While the BSc Accounting is much more focused towords Accountancy and lacks more choice like the BA.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 901
Oh right. Will you be studying at the university of Manchester this September or have you not decided? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
interview for chem eng
Original post by Arsenal121
mines in march too

What have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
HI, has anyone been called for interview in university of Manchester? I was invited for interview in Manchester in February for Computer science or if i cannot make it , i must send written work of me.
DO YOU HAPPEN to know what work they expect or what kind is the interview?
thanks a lot !!!!:smile:
Original post by Mostafa_iSoler
Interview was nothing like what I prepared for. I got an email titled 'Important financial information' from the uni just hours after my interview. Anybody else got this?

HI, I was invited for interview in Manchester in February for Computer science or if i cannot make it , i must send written work of me.
DO YOU HAPPEN to know what work they expect or what kind is the interview? what do they ask ? do you know if it is better to send them a programme in java?
HI, I was invited for interview in Manchester in February for Computer science or if i cannot make it , i must send written work of me.
DO YOU HAPPEN to know what work they expect or what kind is the interview? what do they ask ? do you know if it is better to send them a programme in java?
Original post by luqman15
What have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths and actuarial science you?
Reply 908
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hi,

This thread is for everyone who applies to, firms, insures and becomes a fresher at Manchester, starting September 2014! This is the place to find other applicants for your course, and to chat about applying to Manchester.

First though, I'd like to draw your attention to some really useful resources on TSR
General FAQ
Accommodation FAQ
If you've got any questions that are related to those resources, it's generally best to post in those threads

If you're a postgrad applicant, then the postgrad chat thread is here

Good luck with your applications and A2 results! :^_^:

Offers and Interviews so far:
Firmers in red and insurers in blue :awesome:
Accounting and Finance: KForshaw, clementk429, aimeeeeeeee
Anatomical Sciences with a Modern Language: VK96
Ancient History: alex1428bolton
Ancient History and Archaeology: Ealium
Biochemistry (interview): turnedbrain, Sunneth, ruthfk, amandasummer. Offer: _FDarr13, alephcipher, William Turtle, Christotheb, Soontobesuper
Biological Sciences (interview): LilyElise Offer: iwishiwasagenius
Biology: Interview: Biologist0. Offer: MarkProbio, stuartdavid95
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering: Marrok
Biomedical Science (interview): Tayla013, thisisjessyeah, Beck1995, Areesha, SchoolKid., vee_19, Rachelle123. Offer: kinz96, smajid, Sara_A, ilikebigbuttshaha, prafto, Toxicated
Cell Biology: rlt26
Chemical Engineering: Interview: <*(((><, zeb786, x-Sophie-x, HaQ_mAn_, ciswoii, SuperNinja, chanak, Sabrina09. Offer: AquisM, Jannie10, crlynswkylyn, Heisenberg112, JustTesting, roryjbd
Chemistry: Interview: Roarmaster. Offer: Nitrogen, tea&biscuits<3
Classics: Alistair373, burnley
Classical Studies: Qymberley
Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology: annie_
Computer Science: Interview: indieguy, chanteyd, TSR561 Offer: adaymuhajier
Criminology: IsabellineBerry,
Dentistry: see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_2014_Stalking_Page
Drama (interview): rnorfolk1
Economics BA(Econ): NewtoTSR, Southpaw Wolf, Procrastinator123
Economics BEconSci: MissAF01, Cola_23, danlocke
Economics (user hasn't specified BA(Econ) or BEconSci): Ciao
Economics and Finance: Procrastinator123, Hanover
Electronic Engineering: Interview: OllieGCSEs
Engineering and Physical Sciences Foundation Year: Mclaren96, Justcuriousyaknow, JBrazier
English with Creative Writing: Online Portfolio & Questions: Tom_green_day
English and Drama: rnorfolk1
English and French: pseudonymegg, Rose233
European Studies with German: PromiseKim
French and German: Interview: smithykj Offer: bourboncreams
French and Spanish: hrsharp, adaltilio, darcy_96
Geography (interview): hmc96, Hatman, rosie95, deevakumari, moggington
Geology: FlyHigh_er
German and Russian: iamnotthewalrus
German Studies: Interview: EmmyChoob Offer: PromiseKim
History: TheHairyOne, sandaman27, Alex_Drums, aadamafc, chlodobaggins
History and German: Fool in the Rain (beginners German).
History and Russian: Elf_Liz
History and Sociology: Katie195
History of Art: jdbyrne, georgiehewitt03, christine123
International Business, Finance and Economics: arco1996, Procrastinator123, elia, crypticabyss, zeldafanforever
International Management with American Business Studies: pallan, Karacel24g
Law: felixdez, gs1996, ZombifiedPuppy, iano101, aliakhan, Iloveginjas,
Law with Criminology: aliakhan, ItsJustMe17
Law with Politics: StartingTheParty, goonermk, philosophyjunkie
Linguistics: harrym96, claremelloney
Management: sjy
Materials Science and Engineering: Semsa
Mathematics (MMath): Interview: Polkas, garethclifford Offer:Poptart-virgin, ed-sheerans-cat, Will Costello
Maths and Actuarial Science: Faye_m
Maths with Finance: Interview: doug96
Maths and Philosophy: Interview: MJasper, alexmufc1995
Maths and Physics: Interview: Danneal12 Offer: excal9, arieisit
Maths and Statistics: Interview: BenChard
Mechanical Engineering: amyymmmm, nataash
Mechanical Engineering with Management: ShayanM
Medical Biochemistry: MedicalMaureen
Medicine: see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2443505 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2501021 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine_applicants_stalking_page_2014_entry
Microbiology: Andaxay
Neuroscience: Interview: ellecttric, ninaowl, abbiemac Offer: CharlotteeeeS
Nursing (adult): Interview: AmeliaMary94, Katyclark. Offer: xx-Samantha-xx, Jenny_Jane, Zoemia, Graciebobs, RBrennanx, Smith96, whitab
Nursing (child): Interview: dippers. Offer: charlsmith
Nursing (mental health): Interview: hanna_h. Offer: SophieLR1995
Pharmacy: Interview: a.t.c, Mbee, maryjane11 Offer: tashawasha, erachael
Philosophy: aishamarie, tyranzach, sacklet, Wild Nothing, RunningInHeels
Physics: Interview: sofi.durward, mjmmwoohoo, anniedavies, Jameister, physicsmatt. Offer: Goods, muonz, Movethemoon, alow, King Hotpie, aerf
Physiology: Interview: rebeccaj96
Politics and IR: Anthony_SK, EleanorKeats, H.wright, HFavager123 ,da, jinglebee
Politics and Modern History: Temoo, powersurge
Politics and Philosophy: SkAlley
Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE): ffionm, StartingTheParty, bendulem, hitch22, magicmuggle, constanzev, KANTtouchthis123, mikele, Tilllzzzzzzz, atonic08, 786:smile:, booklover109
Psychology: WannaGetAnA, KayleighR26, auralay, frenchiex, wingscarletx
Social Anthropology: colle009, marm-alade, IShootLikeAGirl, a1exandra
Spanish and Linguistics: Marcoball
Spanish and Portuguese: Interview: katiee_jones1
Speech and Language Therapy: Interview: evie_, Amy-3, evantej
Zoology (interview): chloescottt, blueboa Offer: Rocket Queen

NB this doesn't include people who have applied but not yet heard back. If you wish to find other people who are still waiting, please click on the 'search this thread' button and type in your subject.

When thinking about who else you'll be studying with, remember to include other people who are doing the same subject as part of their degree. For instance, if you're studying Politics and IR, you'll be in the same lectures for part of the time as people doing PPE, Politics and Modern History, Politics and Philosophy, Law with Politics and so on.

Last updated 28/12/13 by Semsa
Reply 909
Original post by Semsa

Physics: Interview: sofi.durward, mjmmwoohoo, anniedavies, Jameister, physicsmatt. Offer: Goods, muonz, Movethemoon, alow, King Hotpie, aerf

I have an offer for physics too :smile:
Reply 910
Original post by zeb123
From what I can tell the Accounting & Finance course allows you to choose a varsity of modules such as economics or sociology.
While the BSc Accounting is much more focused towords Accountancy and lacks more choice like the BA.

Oh right, thank you. With Accounting(BSc) you get a placement, which is always good I suppose. Good luck with your choices!
Original post by Semsa
Hi,

This thread is for everyone who applies to, firms, insures and becomes a fresher at Manchester, starting September 2014!

Firming Manchester for Psychology
Reply 912
sociology and anthropology only just sent my ucas a couple days ago so still waiting to hear back
Reply 913
I have a question, is it common practice for Manchester to let in students with an offer of A*A*A, but have achieved A*AA? Kind of worrying of missing out on Manchester if I don't meet my offer! I have feeling Manchester are more flexible due to the high entry requirements, but I could be wrong.
Original post by muonz
I have a question, is it common practice for Manchester to let in students with an offer of A*A*A, but have achieved A*AA? Kind of worrying of missing out on Manchester if I don't meet my offer! I have feeling Manchester are more flexible due to the high entry requirements, but I could be wrong.

Physics?

There was a guy last results day whose offer was A*A*A, he got A*AA, and he was given an alternative offer of doing the foundation year before going onto the main degree :erm:

He's now at Nottingham.

That's not to say that it'll happen again that way this year, but there's a substantial likelihood that it might

(This was one of the cases that sticks out in my mind from the most recent results day, as it seemed so ridiculous).
Reply 915
Sorry, yeah, physics. I'm not sure what to think of that... O.o

So there hasn't been a case (that you know of) of someone going onto the main degree with A*AA? Yikes..
Original post by muonz
Sorry, yeah, physics. I'm not sure what to think of that... O.o

So there hasn't been a case (that you know of) of someone going onto the main degree with A*AA? Yikes..

Well, there may be some people who missed their offer by a grade and still got in, it's just that I know that they have rejected at least one person in those circumstances. It's entirely anecdotal, but worth bearing in mind. Just for added absurdity, from memory physics was in Clearing, asking for A*AA last year, but he still got rejected from first year entry :banghead:

Of course, things may be different this year as it really all depends on how many other people miss their offer, the extent to which they miss their offer, and whether or not they think they can get better people through Clearing. Things could be totally different this year - we just don't know, and neither will Manchester until a few days before results day.

If you do firm Manchester, make sure that you have an insurance that you'd be happy to go to, just in case
Reply 917
I really feel for that guy! Seems unbelievable.

Thanks for the help once again, dependable Origami. :biggrin:
Original post by muonz
I really feel for that guy! Seems unbelievable.

Thanks for the help once again, dependable Origami. :biggrin:

I know. It was a bit ridiculous IMO. I believe there's a new admissions tutor for physics - the old one had apparently gone rather soft hearted in his old age, but the new one clearly hasn't!
Reply 919
I know. It was a bit ridiculous IMO. I believe there's a new admissions tutor for physics - the old one had apparently gone rather soft hearted in his old age, but the new one clearly hasn't!

I vaguely remember him saying if we miss our offer they will look at our entire application and how we did in the interview (I did awfully, was my first interview). But I guess it didn't turn out that way for your friend. I would be incredibly annoyed if someone who hadn't even gone through their admissions process got a place over me if we got the same grades!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending