Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Virtualization of life as the next big human addiction Watch

ReputationRep:
    Every year, more and more people are connecting to the WorldWideWeb, ranging through different levels of 'daily addiction'. If you consider Internet users to Facebook users ratio, it is an astonishing 2:1, and generally FB users log into their accounts every single day of the week.

I can't generalize for all of us, but it is obvious that the Internet plays a major role in our lives nowadays. But we are getting to a level of dependancy so high that I can't see a world without Internet, or a daily routine without acessing my emails or checking my FB.

So, is the virtual reality the next step? Considering that one of human goals is to improve the human body and increase its longevity, a total virtualization of life (like Baudrillard believed) seems quite possible.

ReputationRep:
    simulation theory, we are already in one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    simulation theory, we are already in one
    To what extent?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.