Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I have an asthma attack? Watch

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I really hate going to the doctor unless it's 100% necessary so any advice would be great!

For a few months now I've noticed myself wheezing occasionally and sometimes feeling tight-chested, particularly in bed at night or around cats and dust.

A few nights ago I was at predrinks at someone's house, I hadn't drunk any more than I usually do and was definitely not overly drunk. Just as we left to go to the club I started feeling really tight-chested and as we were walking I had to stop and sit down several times due to shortness of breath. It felt a bit like a weight on my chest and like I couldn't get enough air out, rather than not being able to get enough air in (although obviously that happened as a consequence!). The whole thing had passed within about 15 minutes and it wasn't ever bad enough to consider going to hospital or anything like that, I actually felt pretty calm throughout and was able to carry on the rest of the night completely fine.

Any ideas? I doubt it was a panic attack as I wasn't upset and have never had any issues with anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, probably, yes. Just a mild one.

And, go to your doctor because this is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I really hate going to the doctor unless it's 100% necessary so any advice would be great!

For a few months now I've noticed myself wheezing occasionally and sometimes feeling tight-chested, particularly in bed at night or around cats and dust.

A few nights ago I was at predrinks at someone's house, I hadn't drunk any more than I usually do and was definitely not overly drunk. Just as we left to go to the club I started feeling really tight-chested and as we were walking I had to stop and sit down several times due to shortness of breath. It felt a bit like a weight on my chest and like I couldn't get enough air out, rather than not being able to get enough air in (although obviously that happened as a consequence!). The whole thing had passed within about 15 minutes and it wasn't ever bad enough to consider going to hospital or anything like that, I actually felt pretty calm throughout and was able to carry on the rest of the night completely fine.

Any ideas? I doubt it was a panic attack as I wasn't upset and have never had any issues with anxiety.
    Struggling to get air out is quite classic for asthma (generally a panic attack causes difficulty getting air in, and isn't caused by cats or dust unless you have phobias of them!!). Definitely go and see your GP very soon as you may need to get started on some treatment, as if that was an asthma attack you can get preventing the next one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that. Definitely worth a trip to your GP fairly soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.