Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

This might seem like a very early thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any insights in regards to how competitive MSc places are at the universities I've mentioned above. I'll be graduating in 2015 with a degree in Computer Science from the University of Manchester, and my average will be around 80% given past performance. I would really love to get a place at Oxbridge, but I'm also aware that it might be too difficult.

I've also spent 1 year in 3 months in industry, working at a tech giant. Despite that, I don't feel like I've acquired any transferable hard skills...

Is there anything I can do to prepare for this further? Also, if I were to get accepted, would I be able to work as a teaching assistant in order to partly fund myself?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you are starting to think about applying early which is a good sign.

I think your grades and industry experience give you a good chance to get accepted. I'd also recommend taking a look at any open days coming up for the universities you are interested in applying to. Start looking at some of the research they are doing and does it align with what you want to do?

This will help you prepare a nice personal statement. Additionally Cambridge also requires you to submit upto 2 research proposals as it is a research intensive program (less than 1 page) so will be a good idea to start exploring the latest publications from the various groups.

P.S - I applied to Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial with a 76% overall average. 2 years + 1 year internship work experience. Rejected by Oxford after the interview but got accepted by the other two.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am an international student who is studying in uk and expect to graduate next year.
    Does being an international student affect my chances to be admitted for a Msc?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student myself and no it doesn't affect your chances as the admissions are based on merit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.