Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the pavement have markings and a highway code? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am sick to death of the following:

• Groups of people who take up an entire stretch of pavement and walk incredibly slowly.
    • People who come towards you and then you have that awkward moment where you try to go in their direction and they try to go in your direction.
    • People who stop in the middle of the pavement to take a photo or engage in some other inane activity.
    • Mothers and/or fathers who treat their pushchair like a battering ram.
    • Cyclists on pavements.

I say develop a highway code for pavements and print markings onto pavements. This would provide for a less chaotic and more efficient society. Why have we not done this yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)

• Groups of people who take up an entire stretch of pavement and walk incredibly slowly.
    • People who come towards you and then you have that awkward moment where you try to go in their direction and they try to go in your direction.
    • People who stop in the middle of the pavement to take a photo or engage in some other inane activity.
    • Cyclists on pavements.

I say develop a highway code for pavements and print markings onto pavements. This would provide for a less chaotic and more efficient society. Why have we not done this yet?
    Cycling on a pavement would me much safer, rather a cyclist bang into a pedestrian than a car ramming into a cyclist, no?

ReputationRep:
    Supermarkets are the worse for slow walkers with awful spatial awareness.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most of these problems may be avoided by following the rules of the road: keep on the left unless overtaking and pass other cars/people going the other way with them on your right.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthrauthrab.)
    Cycling on a pavement would me much safer, rather a cyclist bang into a pedestrian than a car ramming into a cyclist, no?
    No. cycle lanes are put there for a reason, if they want to get into a fight with a car that's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKappa)
    Supermarkets are the worse for slow walkers with awful spatial awareness.
    oh my god yes, especially them really slow Tesco escalators and stupid fat lazy people simply can't walk but stand there #lazy****es
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)

• Cyclists on pavements.

It should include banning Cyclists. As a pedestrian I don't want them being prats on the path, as a motorist I don't want them being prats on my road. Simplest solution: screw "ban the burqa", "ban the bike" is the way forwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Most of these problems may be avoided by following the rules of the road: keep on the left unless overtaking and pass other cars/people going the other way with them on your right.
    People are too stupid and/or ignorant to voluntarily follow the rules of the road on pavements. It needs to be done by way of new legislation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.