Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have an olive skin tone with jet black hair (i'm Asian if that's helpful!), i want to dye my hair a dark brunette brown but i don't know firstly if it will suit my skin tone, secondly how it will look having dark brown hair and jet black eye brows (not so sure about this!?) and thirdly how i can dye it brown without causing major damage to my hair....
    i will be appreciative for any advice
    Thanks
    P.S- i have never dyed my hair before

ReputationRep:
    Because you have never dyed your hair before, it's usually easier to get to a lighter colour; that said having jet black hair it's gonna be pretty difficult to go lighter. Your first option is to buy a dark blonde hair dye, this helped me to go to a mid brown, but I started with normal black hair rather than jet black. Your second and recommended option is to go to the hair dressers, home dying is risky business; you never know if it will turn out right. So I would say definitely go to a salon, and they can inform you of the various ways to get to your desired tone that will go with your skin tone

And your eyebrows will look fine! I have gone light brown with some blonde, and kept my eyebrows and they look suitable. If you want you can tint them, or use a light coloured pencil to match to the hair.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in the same position as you (although I'm interested in dying to a chocolate brown colour). I spoke to a local salon about it and they were able to show me different colours and help me decide what would suit my skin tone. I also had an allergy test done.

I would definitely recommend getting advice from professionals. I know a few Asians with brown hair and they look lovely. I think it's when you start dying your hair blonde that it looks a bit strange (just from my perspective ).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks- what you said was very useful
    i am definitely going to get it done by professionals as i would probably ruin my hair which is not what i want! Let me know if you do dye it and if it is successful ..... Also, did you get an allergy test done to see if you would react to chemicals in the hair dye and did the salon do the test for you ?
    P.S what colour did you choose??
    (Original post by Angury)
    Hey, I'm in the same position as you (although I'm interested in dying to a chocolate brown colour). I spoke to a local salon about it and they were able to show me different colours and help me decide what would suit my skin tone. I also had an allergy test done.
    (Original post by Angury)

I would definitely recommend getting advice from professionals. I know a few Asians with brown hair and they look lovely. I think it's when you start dying your hair blonde that it looks a bit strange (just from my perspective ).

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much- what you have written has been very useful
    (Original post by SharpenedPencils)
    Because you have never dyed your hair before, it's usually easier to get to a lighter colour; that said having jet black hair it's gonna be pretty difficult to go lighter. Your first option is to buy a dark blonde hair dye, this helped me to go to a mid brown, but I started with normal black hair rather than jet black. Your second and recommended option is to go to the hair dressers, home dying is risky business; you never know if it will turn out right. So I would say definitely go to a salon, and they can inform you of the various ways to get to your desired tone that will go with your skin tone

And your eyebrows will look fine! I have gone light brown with some blonde, and kept my eyebrows and they look suitable. If you want you can tint them, or use a light coloured pencil to match to the hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nooonooo)
    [LEFT]Thanks- what you said was very useful
    i am definitely going to get it done by professionals as i would probably ruin my hair which is not what i want! Let me know if you do dye it and if it is successful ..... Also, did you get an allergy test done to see if you would react to chemicals in the hair dye and did the salon do the test for you ?
    P.S what colour did you choose??
    Yeah the allergy test was for the chemicals in the dye. The salon did the test for me, they just swabbed a bit of it at the back of my neck and told me to check if the skin turned red or anything within the next 24 hours. I was very worried about ruining my hair as well, but the lady said just dying it once wouldn't have an affect. You Can discuss your concerns with the hairdresser. I have also had my hair lightened slightly - I guess you could try that?

I can't remember the name of the colour exactly, but it was chocolate brown.

ReputationRep:
    Because you have never dyed your hair before, it's usually easier to get to a lighter colour; that said having jet black hair it's gonna be pretty difficult to go lighter. Your first option is to buy a dark blonde hair dye, this helped me to go to a mid brown, but I started with normal black hair rather than jet black.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou- it's nice to read that someone has managed to go from black hair to brown!- it gives me a bit f hope that i may be able to do it without damaging my hair!
    (Original post by jacksonking112)
    Because you have never dyed your hair before, it's usually easier to get to a lighter colour; that said having jet black hair it's gonna be pretty difficult to go lighter. Your first option is to buy a dark blonde hair dye, this helped me to go to a mid brown, but I started with normal black hair rather than jet black.

ReputationRep:
    sorry *of hope
    (Original post by nooonooo)
    Thankyou- it's nice to read that someone has managed to go from black hair to brown!- it gives me a bit f hope that i may be able to do it without damaging my hair!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.