Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been trying really hard to get hospital work exp and finally have managed to get some in late October, but it's after I apply (15th), how would I go about showing it? Do I mention I'm going to do some in my personal statement and hope to talk about it at interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Say you've organised work exp doing XYZ and what you hope to take from it. Then you can do some kind of comparison between what you thought you'd learn and what you learned in your interviews.

Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that you haven't done the work experience. A lot of students see work experience as a 'Box To Tick' but it is so much more than that. The work experience is a chance to see what you like in medicine and if you like medicine and if you apply without it and say it's planned for the future, the admission tutors won't know if you even like medicine (And you might drop out on the course - Not saying you will, it's just the risk they take and attempt to minimise with tough admission processes).

Try to get some before the application deadline. Failing that, get some for before interview seasons start.

ReputationRep:
    Get some volunteering or charity work going before you apply. Anything that puts you in a position to work with the vulnerable and the needy in order to see whether this line of work appeals to you.

ReputationRep:
    Just walk into a hospital and put a doctors jacket on and walk about, job done.

Make sure you nod and give the thumbs up to patients,nurses and fellow doctors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry2011)
    Just walk into a hospital and put a doctors jacket on and walk about, job done.

Make sure you nod and give the thumbs up to patients,nurses and fellow doctors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats what i did . But then they called me into theatre for emergency open heart surgery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Top_Hat)
    The problem here is that you haven't done the work experience. A lot of students see work experience as a 'Box To Tick' but it is so much more than that. The work experience is a chance to see what you like in medicine and if you like medicine and if you apply without it and say it's planned for the future, the admission tutors won't know if you even like medicine (And you might drop out on the course - Not saying you will, it's just the risk they take and attempt to minimise with tough admission processes).

Try to get some before the application deadline. Failing that, get some for before interview seasons start.
    (Original post by ilem)
    Get some volunteering or charity work going before you apply. Anything that puts you in a position to work with the vulnerable and the needy in order to see whether this line of work appeals to you.
    I have done some already actually, erm I've done a years worth volunteering in a nursing home and 1 week in a GP. It's just that I haven't done any hospital yet and isn't the hospital work exp essential for most applications?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.