Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok, this might get lengthy. Also, English is not my first language.

At the beginning of my last year at university, I met with my supervisor for the first time, in order to discuss my thesis. During the whole meeting, he acted very cold, and sometimes displayed a very fake smile whenever I asked him a question and he was to answer. My friends had already told me he had a tendency to be nervous around women, so I didn't put much thought into it and concluded that he was just a bit uptight.

At the next meeting, however, everything went fine. He was in a very good spirit, made jokes (and even laughed). Unfortunately, he even made my heart skip a beat, because he came across as very charming. Anyway, we had agreed a plan for the thesis, which I was not going to start writing until the next and last semester.

As his office was in the same floor as my study desk, we often met
    in the hallways. Most often, he greeted me with a big smile, and sometimes I noticed him staring at me from a distance. But at times, he would walk in a very aggressive manner and say "Hi" in a very grumpy way, barely acknowledging me. A couple of times he would see me smile and say hi, only to stop, greet and hold that grumpy stare for several seconds, as if I had done him something very
    wrong.

Once, we met by the elevators in the first floor. I noticed that he unfortunately was in "that" mood again, and barely spoke. He stared down at the elevator floor, and as we parted ways he looked at me with a very big and fake smile, which disappeared just as he turned his head.

It was uncomfortable never to know whether he would be cold as ice or his more friendlier and charming self. As a person with social anxiety, it was hard not to take it personal (as I get very self absorbed). But I told myself everyone has bad days and that it had
    nothing to with me.

So the semester passed by, and I was to begin writing my thesis. During our first meeting, he was very nice again and gave me lots of interesting material. During the second meeting, a few weeks later, he was again cold, but still gave a lot of advice. As usual, he spoke ALOT and often interrupted me when I tried to say something. He would mostly stare down on the floor and fidget a lot, so I just thought that he was a bit uptight again and didn't give it much thought.

I was highly motivated, and after a couple of weeks, I had written A LOT, which I delivered to him in order to get some feed back. I waited... And waited... Three weeks later, I e-mailed him and asked if he had looked at it yet. We scheduled a meeting and he told me that he usually looks at drafts right away, but "not this time" and laughed. So we had to schedule another meeting in order for him to take some time to look at it. He said he was very impressed with what I had done and gave me some new ideas on what to write about.

We then started to have a very positive period and worked very well together. He was now in a very good mood every time we met and I thought maybe he only needed some time to "break in", after my friends' comments about his shyness. I DID feel very attracted to him and he was often acting very nervous. He would figdet A LOT, blush, touch his face, run his hands through his hair and sat with his legs as far out to the sides as he possibly could. Sometimes when I was making notes of what he had just said, I would look up and catch him stare at me with a strange, distant look. Then he would panic and do strange things as pulling up
    his socks.

Whenever we met outside of the building, or I noticed him from a distance, I would see him stare and turn his body after where I went. I once went outside because I knew he would be there and passed him from a distance, when he had his back to the building, talking to someone. After I had gone inside, I looked out the glass door and now he was turned 180 degrees and stared right at me. This happened several times.

Also, one evening, I met him outside when I was going home after a couple of beers at some event. I greeted him when he was about four metres away, and we locked eyes and smiled at each other from that moment, even until after we had passed each other, turning our heads. He stopped, but I panicked and turned mine back, continuing to go home. I thought to myself: "Wow..."

A couple of days later, we had a meeting and I pretended like nothing, just acting as normal by discussing the thesis. I noticed that he would all of a sudden come very close when pointing out different things in my draft, staying there for an awkwardly long time. Putting his hand about a quarter of an inch away from mine. When we said goodbye, he always held my gaze with a smile until I had left.

One day, hell broke loose. We exited each our elevator in our floor at the same time, and then he turned and looked a bit puzzled at me, before we both laughed. He held up the door, and before we went each our way, he nearly whispered: "I'll see you later" and smiled in a very sexy way.
    Later I met with a guy friend for lunch, and when we walked back to the building, we passed my supervisor, who was talking to another person. As I looked out at him through the glass door, he stood there and looked very angrily down at the ground.

We had a meeting a couple of hours later, and boy was he angry. No eye contact, just excessive talking and interruption whenever I tried to say something. He was not his old self at all. He managed to bump into my knee, and just looked angrily at me. I tried to act like nothing, and tried to "cheer up the mood" by telling him about some good news regarding my own research. He then squinted his eyes together, looked very angry and nearly shouted "Yes????". As if he wanted to say "so what". When he said goodbye he just stared at the floor.

During the following meeting, I was afraid he was going to be in the same mood, so I was a bit withdrawn. He was suddenly very nice again and everything turned into how it had used to be. He even told me he wanted me to apply for a certain PHD position and that I had great potential. He also promised me that we were going to keep in touch and have a paper together independently of that.

Time went by, and I delivered my last draft to him before submitting it. But then, after I had submitted my thesis, we were to have a meeting about the oral presentation and now he was all of a sudden very cold again. Like I had done him something. I got cold feet about the presentation and it ended up going very badly due to my anxiety issues. I tried to look at him once when I spoke, but then he sat with his eyes angrily squinted together looking at me, as I was some dog poo he had just stepped on. During the question round, I completely
    blanked and could not answer ONE question.

After they had discussed my thesis, I disappointingly received a very average grade. One of the professors told me it was due to the new grading system, and that if I had delivered my thesis one year earlier, I would have gotten a good grade. My supervisor squinted his eyes together again and said very strictly "No." (Thanks...)

I was crushed, but did not show it. All the time, my supervisor had told me that my thesis was very good and that he was very happy with me. Then all of a sudden he just turns 180 degrees and acts like he hates me. I e-mailed him in order to thank him for his help, in order to perhaps get an explanation, but no, he just thanked me for the cooperation and wished me good luck. Still three months later I have heard nothing from him about this promised paper, or anything at all.

So, here I am. Very frustrated and hurt, wondering what on earth happened. I feel like I just imagined the whole thing and that he was fake all the time, perhaps always disliking me? I had worked my butt off and thought I was going to do well, all I had received was good feed back.

I spoke to other students who had him as a supervisor, and they told me he was never moody with them. They seemed pretty surprised when I told them he had been acting very angry at times, with scary mood swings. That he always was in a cheery mood and that they could not imagine him saying or doing the things that he did during and after my presentation.

I am almost at peace with my grade now, even though I am still a bit disappointed.

However, I just can't figure out what his problem was. Did he really dislike me the whole time and just faked his behaviour in order to set me up for failure?

LOL. He clearly had a thing for you/

ReputationRep:
      He seems weird. Very possessive too. I think you should just stay away tbh, he probably feels ad though he's been 'teacher-zoned' and was resentful of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      To be honest the whole grade thing (them telling you its great, getting an average mark) is pretty standard. I had a similar experience. And my supervisor was equally weird. It sounds like you think he had a thing for you, but I'm not convinced, he just sounds like your standard slightly odd pompous academic to me :\

(Original post by redferry)
      To be honest the whole grade thing (them telling you its great, getting an average mark) is pretty standard. I had a similar experience. And my supervisor was equally weird. It sounds like you think he had a thing for you, but I'm not convinced, he just sounds like your standard slightly odd pompous academic to me :\
      Well, i actually agree. I just find it strange how he seemingly was so nice all the time to other students, while allowed himself to express his bad mood at me. It kind of reinforces my idea that i am not worthy enough of being treated ok.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Well, i actually agree. I just find it strange how he seemingly was so nice all the time to other students, while allowed himself to express his bad mood at me. It kind of reinforces my idea that i am not worthy enough of being treated ok.
      He's just an arrogant knob, I wouldn't dwell on it

ReputationRep:
      Some academics are complete gimboids. What a shocker. Given that TSR is something of a nursery for academics, this should hardly be a surprise.

(Original post by Clip)
      Some academics are complete gimboids. What a shocker. Given that TSR is something of a nursery for academics, this should hardly be a surprise.
      I'm a gimboid?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      I'm a gimboid?
      Your supervisor. According to you.

(Original post by Clip)
      Your supervisor. According to you.
      Cheers Clip

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.