Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Howdy,

I am Australian and have finished studying my CA (ICAA) qualifications. I am now just waiting for my 3 years work experience to be complete (February 2015).

Immediately after that, I intend on gong over to London to work. Big 4 are one option that I am considering.

However, coming from Australia, I'm not sure what the level I would be upon qualification is called. In Australia, the Big 4 tend to use different names (some have Assistant Manager, some don't), some use "Experienced Analyst", some don't), etc. I presume its the same in the UK?

So, in the audit team, or doing Internal Audit (Advisory? Risk Services? Internal Audit? Part of the Audit team?), what level is a brand new qualified CA?

Deloitte - Assistant Manager 1
    EY - ?
    PWC - ?
    KPMG - ?

If you do know some of the other majors, like BDO, feel free to chuck them in too

Are the above (AM1 for Deloitte for example) pretty set, or is it also "normal" to go one step above or below?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AussieAccountant)
    Howdy,

I am Australian and have finished studying my CA (ICAA) qualifications. I am now just waiting for my 3 years work experience to be complete (February 2015).

Immediately after that, I intend on gong over to London to work. Big 4 are one option that I am considering.

However, coming from Australia, I'm not sure what the level I would be upon qualification is called. In Australia, the Big 4 tend to use different names (some have Assistant Manager, some don't), some use "Experienced Analyst", some don't), etc. I presume its the same in the UK?

So, in the audit team, or doing Internal Audit (Advisory? Risk Services? Internal Audit? Part of the Audit team?), what level is a brand new qualified CA?

Deloitte - Assistant Manager 1
    EY - ?
    PWC - ?
    KPMG - ?

If you do know some of the other majors, like BDO, feel free to chuck them in too

Are the above (AM1 for Deloitte for example) pretty set, or is it also "normal" to go one step above or below?

Thanks
    They should all be called Assistant Managers.

They are likely to want to promote their own people ahead of you at first so you will likely be at the bottom end of the AM bracket.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers,

Sorry, to confirm, is AM1 or AM2 lower?

From your post, I assume AM2?

ReputationRep:
    PWC uses Senior Associate (SA2) but it's all the same thing.

Do you currently work for one in Aus? You should try and secure a secondment first.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Have you worked in the Big 4 in Aus? (Sorry if I missed it in your post)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoxial)
    Have you worked in the Big 4 in Aus? (Sorry if I missed it in your post)
    I currently do, and will be applying for a secondment. However, I will be applying earlier than is normal, and have very little flexibility re:timing of the secondment due to personal issues.

This means that I'm also prepared to apply for a job at the other Big 4.

Thanks Tokyoround.

ReputationRep:
    In KPMG you'd be a D1 or assistant manager.

Try and do an internal secondment within your firm. A lot of Australians have come to the UK via internal secondments.

ReputationRep:
    In Deloitte it's Assistant Manager 2 that'd you'd be aiming for. AM1 is a third year role (pre-qualification). AM2 is newly qualified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.