Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you get rid (SELL) your old computing hardware these days? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wondering where does everyone sell their used computing hardware these days?

Due to surplus to requirements, need to dispose of the following :-
    1) 4GB RAM modules for an iMac.
    2) Apple Wireless keyboards (UK)

The above are essentially brand new, bought a bunch of iMacs from Luxembourg and am upgrading the memory to 8GB modules. Getting rid of the keyboards as they don't have the Norsk characters.

The following are used :-

1) Lenovo ThinkPad T410 i5 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 14" display, NVIDIA NLS, Win7. 2 years old.

2) Lenovo IdeaPad U410 i3 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD, 14 display, NVIDIA GeForce 500m, Win7 2 years old.

3) Apple iPad 2 Wifi+Cellular 16GB. Bought in 2012

4) Apple iPad 3 Wifi+Cellular 32GB. Bought in 2012

5) Apple iPad 3 Wifi 64GB. Bought in 2013

6) Dell Inspiron Mini Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 10" display. 4 years old. Works but needs a new battery.

7) Macbook Air 11" Core2Duo 1.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 64GB HD, 11" display, NVidia GeForce. Bought in 2011. Everything works but some scratches.

Where would be a good place for listing to sell them off and any idea how much I should expect for them?

Also are there any charitable organizations that will take and then redistribute computing equipment? Preferably those that distributes it within UK only rather than re-export it to other countries or simply send it for recycling? There are quite a few in Norway but they only want hardware that is new or less than a year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Wondering where does everyone sell their used computing hardware these days?

Due to surplus to requirements, need to dispose of the following :-
    1) 4GB RAM modules for an iMac.
    2) Apple Wireless keyboards (UK)

The above are essentially brand new, bought a bunch of iMacs from Luxembourg and am upgrading the memory to 8GB modules. Getting rid of the keyboards as they don't have the Norsk characters.

The following are used :-

1) Lenovo ThinkPad T410 i5 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, 14" display, NVIDIA NLS, Win7. 2 years old.

2) Lenovo IdeaPad U410 i3 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD, 14 display, NVIDIA GeForce 500m, Win7 2 years old.

3) Apple iPad 2 Wifi+Cellular 16GB. Bought in 2012

4) Apple iPad 3 Wifi+Cellular 32GB. Bought in 2012

5) Apple iPad 3 Wifi 64GB. Bought in 2013

6) Dell Inspiron Mini Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 10" display. 4 years old. Works but needs a new battery.

7) Macbook Air 11" Core2Duo 1.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 64GB HD, 11" display, NVidia GeForce. Bought in 2011. Everything works but some scratches.

Where would be a good place for listing to sell them off and any idea how much I should expect for them?

Also are there any charitable organizations that will take and then redistribute computing equipment? Preferably those that distributes it within UK only rather than re-export it to other countries or simply send it for recycling? There are quite a few in Norway but they only want hardware that is new or less than a year old.
    eBay.

Just search for what you're selling and put it on for £5 cheaper than the going rate.

ReputationRep:
    Hei!,

I'd be happy to take that mac off your hands for a good price, I'm not exactly the richest kid on the block.

ReputationRep:
    eBay or Gumtree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieDS)
    eBay.

Just search for what you're selling and put it on for £5 cheaper than the going rate.
    Is it still possible to sell anything there for a decent price these days if it is a 0 feedback account?

(Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Hei!,

I'd be happy to take that mac off your hands for a good price, I'm not exactly the richest kid on the block.
    It is a Norsk keyboard version though and the OS is in Norwegian, not sure if there is a way to change it to English.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    eBay or Gumtree
    Never tried Gumtree but isn't it one of those places where you list and usually it attracts loads of tyre-kickers / time-wasters?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I never sell my computing hardware, instead I just strip the computers and pack the hardware in boxes and keep them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Personally, I never sell my computing hardware, instead I just strip the computers and pack the hardware in boxes and keep them.
    Really? Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Why is that?
    Well, I have a lot of computers at home and I use them on a regular basis, if one of the computer fails, I can use one of the spare components as a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    Never tried Gumtree but isn't it one of those places where you list and usually it attracts loads of tyre-kickers / time-wasters?
    Yeah, you do get that, but I've recently sold a 360, and Xbox One and a gaming PC on there without too much trouble.

ReputationRep:
    You can offload your equipment at a Car Boot Sale ? My latest Dell desktop which i am using now came from a CBS for £25.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.