Bottas
    37.50%
    Hamilton
    62.50%
    Other (Specify in thread
    0%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    For a long time Hockenheim was home to Formula 1 in Germany. It's old track was famous for it's long straights and chicanes, making it one of the fastest and most dangerous on the calendar on the calendar. Today, with it's new layout, the Grand Prix swaps each year with the Nurburgring.

The German Grand Prix has always been on the F1 Calendar since 1950, and was originally held at the Nurburgring up until 1970, when Hockenheim held it for one year after organisers believed the Nurburgring was too dangerous. The track was amended to meet safety calls and it returned to Nurburgring for another 6 years. In 1976 however, after Niki Lauda's awful crash that left him with sever burns and injuries, the Nurburgring was dropped for Hockenheim.

From 1977 onwards, other than a one off return to the Nurburgring in 1985, the Grand Prix remained at Hockenheim. The circuit was redesigned in 2002 by Hermann Tilke after concerns over the safety and length of the track, and new sections were built. The move was heavily criticised by both teams and drivers, many of whome preferred the old circuit.

Hockenheim been host to many infamous events in F1. In 1968, World Champion Jim Clark was killed on just his fifth lap. The track was heavily wooded and provided nothing in terms of safety. A is currently placed in the forest, where the old track used to be. Jim Clark is still considered one of the best of all time.
    More recently however, in 2010, the Ferrari team came under heavy scrutiny for what appeared to be team orders.

ReputationRep:
    In.

Do prefer the old version of the track but i understand why it had to go.

ReputationRep:
    And suprise, suprise, not everyone was in favour of keeping interlinked suspension systems...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114969

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    And suprise, suprise, not everyone was in favour of keeping interlinked suspension systems...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114969

In your personal opinion, will this make any difference to the running order come the next race?

It'll hurt Merc etc but how much is the real question. Will they go from being 2 seconds a lap faster to only 1 second a lap faster or will they now suddenly be 2nd/3rd fastest team???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    In your personal opinion, will this make any difference to the running order come the next race?

It'll hurt Merc etc but how much is the real question. Will they go from being 2 seconds a lap faster to only 1 second a lap faster or will they now suddenly be 2nd/3rd fastest team???
    I don't see it making a huge difference, to be honest. Merc have easily got the resources to cope with adjusting their setup to compensate. Pretty sure they already tried running without it at T28 too, and I'm sure they've been flat out on their simulator, so they won't be going into the weekend completely blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    I don't see it making a huge difference, to be honest. Merc have easily got the resources to cope with adjusting their setup to compensate. Pretty sure they already tried running without it at T28 too, and I'm sure they've been flat out on their simulator, so they won't be going into the weekend completely blind.
    I did hear some teams weren't running it at the silverstone test to prepare for this weekend.

Do you know which teams had none or bad FRIC systems that will gain more relative time this weekend?

ReputationRep:
    Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg/hulkenburg

ReputationRep:
    I did hear some teams weren't running it at the silverstone test to prepare for this weekend.

Do you know which teams had none or bad FRIC systems that will gain more relative time this weekend?
    I think it's more a case of 'less developed' than bad, but word on teh grapevine is that Merc have the most developed system, and it's something that we pioneered so we'd rather not be without it. At the other end of the scale... Probably Cateram and Force India, maybe Sauber... All speculation of course.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    In.

should be another good race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    In.

should be another good race

:yep:

Looking forward to it a lot tbh.

ReputationRep:
    2 minutes into FP1 and it looks like Wolff is out again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)
    2 minutes into FP1 and it looks like Wolff is out again.

she managed to get back out and complete some laps though!

:woo:

Only 0.227 seconds off Massa as well who was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to world title is a good showing from here. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    she managed to get back out and complete some laps though!

:woo:

Only 0.227 seconds off Massa as well who was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to world title is a good showing from here. :yep:
    The two cars were not in exactly the same specification so it would be unwise to draw too many conclusions from the basic times.
    Asked about the comparative fuel loads of the two cars, Wolff said she and Massa had "different set-ups to compare, but, yeah, the same programmes".

Really not bad going at all. Was half expecting her to have been light and on options with Massa heavy on primes or something like that. < 0.3s is very impressive considering she has barely driven an F1 car this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The two cars were not in exactly the same specification so it would be unwise to draw too many conclusions from the basic times.
    Asked about the comparative fuel loads of the two cars, Wolff said she and Massa had "different set-ups to compare, but, yeah, the same programmes".

Really not bad going at all. Was half expecting her to have been light and on options with Massa heavy on primes or something like that. < 0.3s is very impressive considering she has barely driven an F1 car this year.
    Yea, on the same programmes she did an awesome job.

I reckon she's worth someone giving a race drive to. If only for the mega sponsorship they would get for having a female driver.

Watching FP2 in the TSR office atm.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, on the same programmes she did an awesome job.

I reckon she's worth someone giving a race drive to. If only for the mega sponsorship they would get for having a female driver.

Watching FP2 in the TSR office atm.
    Aye, she might be worth getting in for the money, but I don't want to see more pay drivers in F1. If she deserves a drive, it should be on talent alone. Thing is, unless she's significantly faster than Massa or Bottas, she won't get a drive in a top team and unless she gets massive backing, she won't get one in a mid table / lower end team.

Jammy git. I'm at work feeling hung over and hating it! :lol: Pretending to work, actually posting here...

ReputationRep:
    Aye, she might be worth getting in for the money, but I don't want to see more pay drivers in F1. If she deserves a drive, it should be on talent alone. Thing is, unless she's significantly faster than Massa or Bottas, she won't get a drive in a top team and unless she gets massive backing, she won't get one in a mid table / lower end team.

Jammy git. I'm at work feeling hung over and hating it! :lol: Pretending to work, actually posting here...
    I reckon she could gt in as a decent pay driver with lots of personal backing.

I'm in a lovely Ac office chilling out with F1 on second screen. About to order some prizes on amazon for a TSr daily prize draw winner.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice if the office didn't try to replicate track condiftions in Hockenheim...

Also:
    Name:  Bs1BGjsCUAANbU3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  78.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see her do well but I'd be disappointed if a mid field team actually needed to take her on over a proven talent.

Hopefully Williams never have to go to another Maldonado. Imagine if Hulkenberg was still in that 2012 Williams car...

ReputationRep:
    In.

Do prefer the old version of the track but i understand why it had to go.
    I remember many hours spent on F1 2001 on the PS2 blasting up and down Hockenheim as Schumi in the Ferrari. Really do miss that track.

ReputationRep:

She flopped in the lower formulas, her last flop in dtm was covered on camera [documentary].
    She doesn't deserve to be in F1. She got her ticket by marrying a major williams team shareholder/merc f1 leader.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.