Report Thread starter 6 years ago
No, not one of you!

Emmeline Pankhurst. 156 today.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
40 views and over four hours later not one person thinks the anniversary of Pankhurst's birth is worth noting?

Disappointing.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who is she again?

Jokes, jokes :lol:

Are we supposed to wish happy birthday to dead people though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
StevieA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She was one of the suffra***** who shamed teenage boys for not signing up for one of the most horrific wars in history. And did she ask for voting rights for the millions of men who were also excluded? No. Men should be sent thousands of miles away from home to be gassed, shot and blown to pieces while women stay at home and get voting rights, feminism's idea of equality.

She can rot for all I care. Not even worth a spit on her grave.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Meh, happy birthday anyhoo
MJ1012
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StevieA)
She was one of the suffra***** who shamed teenage boys for not signing up for one of the most horrific wars in history. And did she ask for voting rights for the millions of men who were also excluded? No. Men should be sent thousands of miles away from home to be gassed, shot and blown to pieces while women stay at home and get voting rights, feminism's idea of equality.

(Original post by MidnightDream)
LOL :laugh:
yo radical one
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She was a hardcore nationalist and imperialist, nothing to be proud of

This country massively lies about its historical figures
just a dad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
Who is she again?

Jokes, jokes :lol:

Are we supposed to wish happy birthday to dead people though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just thought that young women might want to acknowledge the debt of gratitude they owe to the leader of the suffragette movement.

It was just a thought.
just a dad
Rep:
?
(Original post by StevieA)

Keep 'em in the kitchen and bedroom, eh?
just a dad
Rep:
?
(Original post by yo radical one)
She was a hardcore nationalist and imperialist, nothing to be proud of

This country massively lies about its historical figures
Are you suggesting that we should only honour those who are seen as perfect and unblemished by all?

Might be quite a short list.
yo radical one
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by just a dad)
Are you suggesting that we should only honour those who are seen as perfect and unblemished by all?

Might be quite a short list.
No, but she was quite comfortably more bad than good
plusC
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Millicent :heart:
just a dad
Rep:
?
No, but she was quite comfortably more bad than good
Disagree.

There is a debate to be had about her views, particularly later in life, however her contribution to achieving women's suffrage can't really be argued.

I suppose I'm a little disappointed that she appears to mean so little to young women today, perhaps I am out of step with the world.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Keep 'em in the kitchen and bedroom, eh?
Whilst there is definitely strains of that in his post being against WWI and the forcing men/young boys to fight in WWI does not make you a women hater.
Le Nombre
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MidnightDream)
Good point, you definitely shouldn't have the vote, a man would a job much better than you do I'm sure.
yo radical one
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Disagree.

There is a debate to be had about her views, particularly later in life, however her contribution to achieving women's suffrage can't really be argued.

I suppose I'm a little disappointed that she appears to mean so little to young women today, perhaps I am out of step with the world.
I'm not one of these people who constantly hates the British Empire, but promoting Imperialism as well as attacking boys who did not sign up to fight in one of the most brutal, as well as pointless wars in the history of mankind, tarnishes her character well beyond helping to get votes for women improves it. Heck, I hope I would have had the courage to fight in World War 2 if I had been called, but WW1, pssh, I'd have shot myself in the foot/become a Quaker to get out of that.
just a dad
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Whilst there is definitely strains of that in his post being against WWI and the forcing men/young boys to fight in WWI does not make you a women hater.
TBH I was more curious in what the response from women would be, as opposed to men.

AFAIK we've had a 'meh' and an 'isn't she dead?' from the gender that directly benefited from her cause.

I'm underwhelmed.
plusC
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
TBH I was more curious in what the response from women would be, as opposed to men.

AFAIK we've had a 'meh' and an 'isn't she dead?' from the gender that directly benefited from her cause.

I'm underwhelmed.
Oh the horror, I preferred the suffragists to the suffragettes so I choose to acknowledge she did have some impact but she had many points that made her a crazy person
just a dad
Rep:
?
I'm not one of these people who constantly hates the British Empire, but promoting Imperialism as well as attacking boys who did not sign up to fight in one of the most brutal, as well as pointless wars in the history of mankind, tarnishes her character well beyond helping to get votes for women improves it. Heck, I hope I would have had the courage to fight in World War 2 if I had been called, but WW1, pssh, I'd have shot myself in the foot/become a Quaker to get out of that.
I'm able to separate and acknowledge the praiseworthy from the more debatable. You aren't, which is fair enough.

Anyhow, as I said, I was really more interested in the female perspective ... goodness knows we see enough of the other perspective when it comes to gender equality on here.
yo radical one
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by just a dad;48578026[B)
]I'm able to separate and acknowledge the praiseworthy from the more debatable.[/B] You aren't, which is fair enough.

Anyhow, as I said, I was really more interested in the female perspective ... goodness knows we see enough of the other perspective when it comes to gender equality on here.
In that case you would surely celebrate woman's suffrage, as opposed to making it about a particular person?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads