Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can be improved for education. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The new education minster Nicky Morgan

How can she improve education what would you like to change in education as michael grove has gone.

ReputationRep:
    How about A Levels and gcse/igcse(offered twice iirc) exams offered six times a year and not stacked at the end of the ******* year.

As a private candidate I have to commute all over the place, due to different exam boards and schools not offering the right subjects for me etc.

The SAT and ACT are offered six times a year, more opportunities to sit the exams would share the workload, exam boards would get more money for more entries. Students would be able to focus more at an exam for an upcoming deadline. This would lead to less pressure/stress. Everyone is happy.

Also I know good people who got caught up with extenuating circumstances and so have to wait a whole year to regurgitate content, that instead they would have been able to sit them at a more recent opportunity.

Also improve state schools, give them more opportunities etc.

And give everyone Tuesday off, idk why.

I hope this woman does not have a stick up her posterior like the former education secretary.

Chat **** Gove.

ReputationRep:
    I think Michael gove has been doing a brilliant job. I would follow through with his ideas: get rid of coursework, make all exams terminal, make a language compulsory at GCSE, make it more secular (it is an education not a church), remove effort grades (people should be graded on ability, not effort), reintroduce grammar schools, get rid of ridiculous exams such as photography and environmental studies. Etc

ReputationRep:
    They could teach kids to spell properly for a start.....

ReputationRep:
    Improve english and maths
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think Gove was pretty great and his ethos was spot on..

Cap the resit at a C (don't try, tough).

Extend the school day an hour making PE mandatory every day. Mandate a GCSE in it so that everybody has to put some effort in or risk an F with those A grades.

Require all state schools to do the English Bac.

Scrap the new grading system and change D and below to a simple pass. For A level, anything below 50% (C grade) is a fail.

C grade boundary can be no lower than 50%, Fail below 30%.

Bring back modular examinations.

All subjects will be graded 50% by exam and 50% coursework each semester. Make coursework much harder.

Large scale public enquiry into the syllabus of every GCSE subject. Aim to make the subjects much harder. Target number of students for C and above should be 50% only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think Gove was pretty great and his ethos was spot on..

Cap the resit at a C (don't try, tough).

Extend the school day an hour making PE mandatory every day. Mandate a GCSE in it so that everybody has to put some effort in or risk an F with those A grades.

Require all state schools to do the English Bac.

Scrap the new grading system and change D and below to a simple pass. For A level, anything below 50% (C grade) is a fail.

C grade boundary can be no lower than 50%, Fail below 30%.

Bring back modular examinations.

All subjects will be graded 50% by exam and 50% coursework each semester. Make coursework much harder.

Large scale public enquiry into the syllabus of every GCSE subject. Aim to make the subjects much harder. Target number of students for C and above should be 50% only.
    I don't see why the scoring isn't done on a decile approach, ie the top 10% get an A*, 10-20% get an A... 40-50% get a C...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stealth 44)
    The new education minster Nicky Morgan

How can she improve education what would you like to change in education as michael grove has gone.
    With the number of spelling and grammar errors in this post and thread title I thought you were a troll.

Looking at your post history, you're not. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone was going to comment about the spelling mistakes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I type quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Baelish)
    You mean leave children unprepared for such tasks at college and university level and the working world? Great idea.
    How is this in anyway not preparing them for the world, what I propose is a harder set of exams where the best are offered the best regardless of their background. Also effort grades are a cruel tool, as in life you are not commended on your effort, instead you are grades on your attainment.

And no the green party are useless, if you allow teachers the freedom to teach their own curriculum then this would to a more extreme version of what is happening in Birmingham.

Finally, if there are no set exams or league tables, how are you to compare the skills of the schools and the pupils.

ReputationRep:
    I type quickly.
    I'll use that excuse next time! =D oh yeah I just write really fast so I sometimes skip a letter

Take care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    I'll use that excuse next time! =D oh yeah I just write really fast so I sometimes skip a letter

Take care!
    And at other times add a letter.
    And put a full stop rather than question mark.

ReputationRep:
    What can be improved for edaction.
    Yours.

ReputationRep:
    An education system that isn't completely about parroting knowledge but instead stimulates skepticism and critical thinking skills would be nice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The school day is long enough as it is and does not need to be extended.

And why should PE be mandatory every day?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    The school day is long enough as it is and does not need to be extended.

And why should PE be mandatory every day?
    Because we have an obesity crisis starting in childhood.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Because we have an obesity crisis starting in childhood.
    So your solution to that is to make everyone do more PE (resulting in a longer school day) against their will, even the many pupils who are of a healthy weight and don't even need it?

We may have an obesity crisis, but not every schoolkid is obese and needs extra PE. There are plenty who do more than enough exercise outside of school time, and continue to do so after leaving school.

That would be incredibly unfair if it was a blanket solution, and difficult to implement if it was anything else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    So your solution to that is to make everyone do more PE (resulting in a longer school day) against their will, even the many pupils who are of a healthy weight and don't even need it?

We may have an obesity crisis, but not every schoolkid is obese and needs extra PE. There are plenty who do more than enough exercise outside of school time, and continue to do so after leaving school.

That would be incredibly unfair if it was a blanket solution, and difficult to implement if it was anything else.
    Their will is irrelevant, if children knew what was best for them then they'd have the vote.

Sure but its an extra 4% of their day only, its not going to harm them.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with this - we just went on snail pace walks in year 11... Think I had a higher heart rate walking to school!
    But perhaps not formal every lesson - maybe a mix of theory, practical, and then an hour of fun sports like Zumba, football tournaments etc... It's all about the attitude!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.