Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unpaid internship views Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you work in an unpaid internship?
    Yes but only if a job at the end was guaranteed
    18.75%
    Yes, even if it was just for experience and no job guarantee
    68.75%
    No, I would never work unpaid
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    What are people's thoughts about unpaid internships? Would you work unpaid for a period of time in order to gain the right experience? Even if it didn't guarantee a job at the end?

ReputationRep:
    Yes and yes.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely take any opportunities given - paid or unpaid.
    That said, currently working a paid internship (it's funded by uni and Santander, the company doesn't actually pay) and I absolutely despise it and wish I had never taken it.

ReputationRep:
    These days you literally have to do them to get into a lot of fields so yes, I would. That being said I don't necessarily agree with them morally.

ReputationRep:
    I think they are necessary in such a competitive working environment, with so many people having a degree there is not much to distinguish you from others except experience.

A business taking on an intern are investing a lot of their own time (which clients usually pay for), so to be trained properly within a company you are taking up resources, only the most generous can afford to pay as well, so it makes sense to be taught for free. Many local councils support people interning if they live within the district. Plus, many internships offer expenses for food and travel, so at least you can eat like a King!

Plus, if you won't work for a few months for free for the experience, many other people would! So if you don't you are limiting your chance of getting the necessary experience to get the kind of job that you are looking for.

Ed

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with them because only people who can work for free can take them up and they are basically exploitation. But having said that given the current climate and I would (and have) undertaken unpaid internships.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.