Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People who have studied or are currently studying AS or A-Level English Language what are your opinions on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I think it's an OK subject. I personally preferred AS Language as it was more engaging. A2 was a lot harder. The step up was so difficult because there was a lot more content. For AS there was only learning about Spoken, Electronic and Written Mode. Then there was only Children's Language Acquisition. So only a few topics within the sections. However, A2; there were so many, Sexuality, Accents, Dialects, Occupation, History of English, English as a World Language, Grammarians, etc. It was just awful.

I don't really have an opinion of the subject as a whole. It wasn't my favourite A-level, neither was it my worst one. I think English Lang and Lit depends on your teacher. For example, when we was learning about Political Correctness and Men and Women's Language our teacher used to use her and her husband for examples which made the class laugh and etc which made the topic a lot more interesting. She told us all the stuff she used to do to her husband to get him to marry her with certain words and etc. This made the lessons and English Lang way more fun.

The amount of terminology you have to revise is unnecessary if you ask me. But the new A-levels in Lang look horrible. They have the IPA which is only introduced at undergraduate level. Would have been good if that was in the current A-levels though...

Are you thinking about taking it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing English language - the work itself seems fairly interesting as you study how language portrays power, gender and technology ( my school does the AQA board ). The only thing I don't really like are the papers itself, for example there's one 48 mark question which seems pretty dire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I think it's an OK subject. I personally preferred AS Language as it was more engaging. A2 was a lot harder. The step up was so difficult because there was a lot more content. For AS there was only learning about Spoken, Electronic and Written Mode. Then there was only Children's Language Acquisition. So only a few topics within the sections. However, A2; there were so many, Sexuality, Accents, Dialects, Occupation, History of English, English as a World Language, Grammarians, etc. It was just awful.

I don't really have an opinion of the subject as a whole. It wasn't my favourite A-level, neither was it my worst one. I think English Lang and Lit depends on your teacher. For example, when we was learning about Political Correctness and Men and Women's Language our teacher used to use her and her husband for examples which made the class laugh and etc which made the topic a lot more interesting. She told us all the stuff she used to do to her husband to get him to marry her with certain words and etc. This made the lessons and English Lang way more fun.

The amount of terminology you have to revise is unnecessary if you ask me. But the new A-levels in Lang look horrible. They have the IPA which is only introduced at undergraduate level. Would have been good if that was in the current A-levels though...

Are you thinking about taking it?
    Thanks yeah I'm unsure whether to take English Language or Maths really :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by iamlucyclare)
    Thanks yeah I'm unsure whether to take English Language or Maths really :/
    Very conflicting subjects aha. Can you not pick them both? If not, just pick the one you find most enjoyable and more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Very conflicting subjects aha. Can you not pick them both? If not, just pick the one you find most enjoyable and more interesting.
    I've got to narrow my A-Levels from 5 down to 4 and want to take history, philosophy and psychology and don't want the workload to be too much. I've been going back and forth with my options ever since I went to the taster day and it is so hard to narrow my choices down. Thank you for the opinions and advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by iamlucyclare)
    I've got to narrow my A-Levels from 5 down to 4 and want to take history, philosophy and psychology and don't want the workload to be too much. I've been going back and forth with my options ever since I went to the taster day and it is so hard to narrow my choices down. Thank you for the opinions and advice
    I did English Literature, History, Philosophy and English Language at AS. English Language will take the pressure off your other AS subjects because you have coursework so it won't be as much exams. And you can ace the coursework if you try really hard, which means you don't have to revise for Language that much when it comes to the exam. If you take Psychology, the pressure to do well is greater as you have 2 exams. So the choice is yours.

A-levels will be the worst two years of your life btw. It's a horrible experience. It's been about 27 days from my last and final A-level exam and I'm still thinking was it all worth it for uni... Anyway good luck!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.