Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To those who have studied or are currently studying AS or A-Level History what are your opinions on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucyclare)
    To those who have studied or are currently studying AS or A-Level History what are your opinions on the subject?
    Hi there i've just done my A level in History and awaiting results and in my experience i found if you enjoyed it at GCSE then you will A level. Obviously it depends on the content you're learning but i found it very enjoyable. I wouldn't really say the content is harder, it's just another part of History you do. The only thing that changed in my experience was the format in A2. In AS it differed from GCSE in that you did 12 mark and 24 mark questions, but the 12 marker was using a source which i did at GCSE. In comparison at A2 i had to do two 45 mark questions, so its having to know more about a certain time period/event and its effects to get the marks. My other unit in A2 was coursework and that was different, i'd done coursework in GCSE but at A level you use historiography from books you read and quote them in your work. It took ages to perfect the essay but if you like history and have a decent work ethic you'll enjoy that essentially if you enjoyed it at GCSE i'd consider it one of few subjects where the content's difficulty doesn't change its just getting used to writing in a different structure, which you can do through practice in class :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackass.)
    Hi there i've just done my A level in History and awaiting results and in my experience i found if you enjoyed it at GCSE then you will A level. Obviously it depends on the content you're learning but i found it very enjoyable. I wouldn't really say the content is harder, it's just another part of History you do. The only thing that changed in my experience was the format in A2. In AS it differed from GCSE in that you did 12 mark and 24 mark questions, but the 12 marker was using a source which i did at GCSE. In comparison at A2 i had to do two 45 mark questions, so its having to know more about a certain time period/event and its effects to get the marks. My other unit in A2 was coursework and that was different, i'd done coursework in GCSE but at A level you use historiography from books you read and quote them in your work. It took ages to perfect the essay but if you like history and have a decent work ethic you'll enjoy that essentially if you enjoyed it at GCSE i'd consider it one of few subjects where the content's difficulty doesn't change its just getting used to writing in a different structure, which you can do through practice in class :P
    Thanks History was my favourite subject at GCSE so hopefully I'll enjoy it as much at A-Level!

ReputationRep:
    I think History is a great course whatever you want to do at university, It allows you to debate and argue and evaluate sources, its really interesting too. If you enjoyed GCSE you will like A-level, dont be put off if AS is quite formulaic as A2 is much more fun imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeniB)
    I think History is a great course whatever you want to do at university, It allows you to debate and argue and evaluate sources, its really interesting too. If you enjoyed GCSE you will like A-level, dont be put off if AS is quite formulaic as A2 is much more fun imo
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.