Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Discuss from an Arsenal fan.

ReputationRep:
    In his natural position as a striker he is not world class but solid reliable and more than likely to get 15-20 goals per season in the league, however he is definitely overshadowed by more technically able players and more exciting forwards than himself. He does a job out wide but apart from the occasional belter, there is much better in that position. Summary, he is a great impact sub

ReputationRep:
    he probably won the WC for Germany by sitting on the bench the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    In his natural position as a striker he is not world class but solid reliable and more than likely to get 15-20 goals per season in the league, however he is definitely overshadowed by more technically able players and more exciting forwards than himself. He does a job out wide but apart from the occasional belter, there is much better in that position. Summary, he is a great impact sub
    I used to admire him, but he has one of the most powerful left footed shots but thats all he does.

Your point was correct. But he gets the 15-20 goals against rubbish teams, never game changing goals against united,chelsea,city, apart from that header against bayern.

I wish we had di maria/bale instead.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Moved to Football section

ReputationRep:
    He is more than good enough against lower table-mid table teams. Good impact sub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    he probably won the WC for Germany by sitting on the bench the whole time.
    100+ caps and 55 goals for Germany though so he has definitely been a excellent servant for the NT. Anyway, sitting on the bench isn't even a bad thing, if you look at their attacking options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if your going to have anyone sat on your bench, and not playing lots of games.. it has to be Podolski.

Great for moral, funny, keeps good team spirit, great with the fans, etc. Imagine he is a great presence to have in the dressing room.

As for on the field, he is not good enough to be anything more then an impact sub for at top team, but he would cope well as a starter for a lower side, paired with someone big who can keep the ball.. (and contribute more defensivly)

ReputationRep:
    I have been a bit surprised by him at Arsenal. I always thought he was quality seeing him for Germany (especially with Klose), but Arsenal haven't seen the best of him. They've mainly played him out wide which has limited his scoring opportunities. Nevertheless his goals to games ratio is not bad.

I still think he would be best as one of two strikers up front, but everyone seems to play 1 up front and Giroud has the nod. Now there's Sanchez and probably Remy for competition, and a host of quality attacking midfielders.

I think he's well above average, but might not get into the Arsenal team. Good buy for another prem club though.

ReputationRep:
    He's got a great shot but he's a tad lazy when his team don't have the ball. He doesn't really have the work-rate to play out wide and he's not technically brilliant. I don't think he can cut it at the very top level, as evidenced by his failed spell at Bayern Munich, but he's a decent squad player.

It was pretty funny seeing him right next to Lahm as he lifted the trophy, as though he had been the star man.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.