Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I have a useful Medical Gap Year ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Medicine and was predicted A*AAA, however i have not been offer a place by any medical university.Therefore I am planning to take a gap year, but dont know what to do yet to make it an usefull one. Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Is any one else in this position?

ReputationRep:
    1) Work experience

2) Work experience

3) Work experience

4) Job (In healthcare if possible)

5) Travel (You should always get some travel experience in a gap year (I'm for Camp America))

6) Volunteering in anything

I'm a medical applicant doing a gap year but I didn't apply the first time round, I feel I didn't have enough work experience so I'm applying this coming cycle (With a gap year for this coming year!). I'm doing camp america, I'm a phlebotomist and I'm doing more work experience and volunteering .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalFaz96)
    I applied for Medicine and was predicted A*AAA, however i have not been offer a place by any medical university.Therefore I am planning to take a gap year, but dont know what to do yet to make it an usefull one. Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Is any one else in this position?
    My friend had the same problem.
    Although, a university offered her a place for the year later and she was studying medicine.
    For her Gap year, she did work experience in a hospital abroad for a whole year.
    She now goes Queen Mary

I definitely think work experience is the best option!
    trust me!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Build upon your application. Have you asked for feedback from the universities that rejected you?

All that needs to be done is rectify the issues brought up in feedback. Ie is it a lack of work experience? Or a poor PS, or poor interview skills?

On top of this, I would recommend looking for paid work and/or long term voluntary work. This shows selectors that you've not just done nothing for a year and gives you more things and experiences to talk about. It will also help bring up your 'people skills' which will undoubtedly help in interviews.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a ward volunteering job at a local hospital in which i get some patient contact. Do you think it will be sufficient continuing with that during the gap year or should i get extra work experience?

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a ward volunteering job at a local hospital in which i get some patient contact. Do you think it will be sufficient continuing with that during the gap year or should i get extra work experience?
    Possibly extra.
    A care home would be great!
    Abroad if that's possible for you?
    Do you know what let you down? - It's definitely not your grades which are amazing - UKCAT/BMAT results, interview, Personal Statement?

ReputationRep:
    You can never have enough work experience!
    What you are doing is good but go for some more experience in as many health fields as possible as it shows well roundedness.
    Also don't forget to enjoy yourself! It's a gap year so also plan some travel etc, the admission tutors don't just want mindless drones, they want people with life experience as well!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you have time, more can do no harm

Maybe get a part-time job as well (waiter/McDonald's/supermarket etc etc). You could consider being a first aid volunteer - contact your local BRC/St Johns/St Andrews group - this will give you useful new skills as well giving you the chance to volunteer at events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Build upon your application. Have you asked for feedback from the universities that rejected you?

All that needs to be done is rectify the issues brought up in feedback. Ie is it a lack of work experience? Or a poor PS, or poor interview skills?

On top of this, I would recommend looking for paid work and/or long term voluntary work. This shows selectors that you've not just done nothing for a year and gives you more things and experiences to talk about. It will also help bring up your 'people skills' which will undoubtedly help in interviews.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I received feedback from Cardiff university. They did not categorically state which section of the application pulled me down.They said that the overall final score following interview did not rank suffieciently enough for me to get offered a place. This led me to believe that i was rejected due to my Interview skill. Do you have any advice on how I can improve my interview performance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Possibly extra.
    A care home would be great!
    Abroad if that's possible for you?
    Do you know what let you down? - It's definitely not your grades which are amazing - UKCAT/BMAT results, interview, Personal Statement?
    On the UKCAT I got an average score of 695, which i thought was a reasonable enough score. Obviously there is still scope to improve but
    On hindsight i think it was my interview performance that let me down, as i did get one interview.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I received feedback from Cardiff university. They did not categorically state which section of the application pulled me down.They said that the overall final score following interview did not rank suffieciently enough for me to get offered a place. This led me to believe that i was rejected due to my Interview skill. Do you have any advice on how I can improve my interview performance?
    They look at various things in interview. And this differs between medical schools, so I'll keep my advice generic:

Firstly, how you come across as a person - they will look at your communication skills, empathy, confidence etc. All of these sort of things can be improved by talking to others in your voluntary work. It also may be worth getting mock interviews from people you know - if they have experience of medical interviews, great! If not, you can print them off a list if common questions.

Secondly, they will look at your motivation for medicine and work experience. What I would recommend is to keep a journal for your work experience that you're doing. For each entry, first summarise what you observed then, more importantly, reflect upon this and relate to how this has helped you understand the role of a doctor. Key categories to consider are: communication, teamwork, empathy, ethical scenarios. You can also reflect upon these issues that you may experience in sports and other hobbies that your pursue. Use what you have written to guide your answers to questions asking for examples about qualities of a doctor.

Lastly, depending on your choices, you may get asked academic questions (eg Cambridge and Oxford) and ethical scenario type questions. It would be well worth reading up on science and/or medical ethics depending on your uni choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    They look at various things in interview. And this differs between medical schools, so I'll keep my advice generic:

Firstly, how you come across as a person - they will look at your communication skills, empathy, confidence etc. All of these sort of things can be improved by talking to others in your voluntary work. It also may be worth getting mock interviews from people you know - if they have experience of medical interviews, great! If not, you can print them off a list if common questions.

Secondly, they will look at your motivation for medicine and work experience. What I would recommend is to keep a journal for your work experience that you're doing. For each entry, first summarise what you observed then, more importantly, reflect upon this and relate to how this has helped you understand the role of a doctor. Key categories to consider are: communication, teamwork, empathy, ethical scenarios. You can also reflect upon these issues that you may experience in sports and other hobbies that your pursue. Use what you have written to guide your answers to questions asking for examples about qualities of a doctor.

Lastly, depending on your choices, you may get asked academic questions (eg Cambridge and Oxford) and ethical scenario type questions. It would be well worth reading up on science and/or medical ethics depending on your uni choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot some great advice

ReputationRep:
    Well my plan for my med gap year (beginning September) is...
    1) I'm going to work for a care agency as a carer for elderly and/or disabled people and children.
    2) I'm also working at a school for severely disabled children as a teaching assistant and swimming coach.
    3) I'm continuing to volunteer teaching disabled children to swim foe a charity I've been with 3 years.
    4) I'm continuing to volunteer at a care home as I have been for over 1.5 years.
    5) I'm volunteering as a ward helper in my local hospital.
    6) I am finally planning to go to camp America next summer and possibly fit in some interrailing prior to that.

I'm fairly happy with my plan overall would have loved to find a HCA job or phlebotomy but if I'd have been successful id have sacrificed the other things so overall not too bad I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've worked as a HCA this past year (although i've been in college) and honestly it's been the most rewarding thing I could've done. I've got to work with doctors and nurses, actually look after patients and yeah, i've loved it.
    Plus in my interviews they were all incredibly interested in that. In fact it gave me a lot of anecdotes I could use in Interviews.
    So i'd definitely recommend you get a job as a HCA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.