The Student Room Group

University requirements help

I'm a little confused about what my university has given me as a requirement for me to be accepted. I've been offered a place for a foundation course at Huddersfield and their requirements are:

"Entry Requirements
The course requires one of the following:
CDD at A Level
200 UCAS points
MMP BTEC"

I'm confused about the 200 UCAS points thing, if I got grades BBC at AS Level in my first year (140 UCAS Points) do they count towards it or are they ruled out and my 3 A Level grades used for the total UCAS points if I carried those subjects on to A Level?

I just wondered if anyone would be able to clear up what they meant by that??

thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Ryan221
I'm a little confused about what my university has given me as a requirement for me to be accepted. I've been offered a place for a foundation course at Huddersfield and their requirements are:

"Entry Requirements
The course requires one of the following:
CDD at A Level
200 UCAS points
MMP BTEC"

I'm confused about the 200 UCAS points thing, if I got grades BBC at AS Level in my first year (140 UCAS Points) do they count towards it or are they ruled out and my 3 A Level grades used for the total UCAS points if I carried those subjects on to A Level?

I just wondered if anyone would be able to clear up what they meant by that??

thanks!

The UCAS points for an A level at the same grade as an AS is double that for the AS, so the UCAS points for an A level effectively includes the points for the AS. :smile:

Therefore the 3 A level grades are used for the UCAS points. (Otherwise if they counted both 3AS and 3A level the UCAS points from the AS would be counted twice!)
i.e. bbc at AS is 140, BBC at A level is 280 (so effectively you're getting 140 from each of the AS and A2).

CDD at A level = 200 UCAS points, so you can get the 200 UCAS points from either CDD grades at A level, or in some other way, to meet your offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Claree
The UCAS points for an A level at the same grade as an AS is double that for the AS, so the UCAS points for an A level effectively includes the points for the AS. :smile:

Therefore the 3 A level grades are used for the UCAS points. (Otherwise if they counted both 3AS and 3A level the UCAS points from the AS would be counted twice!)
i.e. bbc at AS is 140, BBC at A level is 280 (so effectively you're getting 140 from each of the AS and A2).

CDD at A level = 200 UCAS points, so you can get the 200 UCAS points from either CDD grades at A level, or in some other way, to meet your offer.

So am I correct in saying if I have 140 points from my AS levels already I need 60 points in my second year across my three subjects to get 200 UCAS Points overall and meet my offer?

Or does it not work like that?
Reply 3
Original post by Ryan221
So am I correct in saying if I have 140 points from my AS levels already I need 60 points in my second year across my three subjects to get 200 UCAS Points overall and meet my offer?

Or does it not work like that?

The UMS marks from your AS levels will count towards your overall A level grade, so your AS marks aren't "wasted" as such. The UCAS points system is such that getting 300/300 UMS marks at AS gives you the same no. of UCAS points as you would get if 300/600 UMS marks was what you got across the whole A level.

So it doesn't work like how you've said - the 200 points you need will come from your A levels, not your AS (the AS is cashed into the whole A level, so you end up with 3 A levels, not 3 A levels and 3 AS). But having got higher than 100 points-equivalent at AS means you'll need less UMS marks at A2 than you did at AS in order to get the required A level grades that will give you 200 UCAS points (i.e. getting Ds or Es in the A2 modules should meet your offer).

e.g. c at AS = 40 UCAS points
C at A level = 80 UCAS points
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest