Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

79% of students think summer jobs are hard to find Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Summer jobs are few and far between. Source? This forum!

Student Room members and users' experiences have been being gathered by newswires, including ITV and AOL. Check them out!

That shows how much the big news providers care about the experiences of TSR members, and how much you matter!

Here's a breakdown of the survey:

86%
    of students want to work this summer.

68% of students prefer jobs in retail.

83% would work unpaid if it improves their CV.

53% of students can't find a summer job.

79% say there aren't enough jobs available.

AOL picked out some of the best experiences from the thread 'What's the worst summer job you've ever had?'. These were: sorting through discarded dirty clothes, dressing up as seafood and stuffing Christmas crackers

With 529 of you contributing, the results indicate that summer work is becoming increasingly hard to find as a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Summer jobs are few and far between. Source? This forum!

Student Room members and users' experiences have been being gathered by newswires, including ITV and AOL. Check them out!

That shows how much the big news providers care about the experiences of TSR members, and how much you matter!

AOL picked out some of the best experiences from the thread 'What's the worst summer job you've ever had?'. These were: sorting through discarded dirty clothes, dressing up as seafood and stuffing Christmas crackers

With 529 of you contributing, the results indicate that summer work is becoming increasingly hard to find as a student.
    To be honest, there are reasons as to why the percentage figure is so high.

I've been in part-time employment for three years, since college began, and I will continue to be in part-time employment until I graduate from university in two years.

When I first started searching for jobs three and a half years ago, I realised I couldn't apply to jobs x, y, z because I wasn't 18, and therefore couldn't operate tills at supermarkets etc. because I wasn't legally old enough to serve alcohol (or for whatever reason they provided).

Secondary school leavers are the age of 16, and have just reached the minimum age for employment. It pained me to see, when I was applying (back in 2011, when the economy was pretty dire), that they wanted people for part-time retail roles with between one and two years experience in retail - how are people who have just reached the minimum age to legally work supposed to have at least one years experience? Answer: they can't!

So already we have a limited number of job positions that students can apply for. Mix this with the amount of students looking for work in the summer, and you end up with a stupendous ratio of applicants to vacancies from just one school in the local area. Multiply that by several schools, and then not to mention the adults willing to travel from other towns/villages just for the same position as they need money, and the prospect of landing that one job you get called in for an interview for looks very bleak.

Now that was three years ago, and the economy is picking up - consequently, more job positions are opening up and therefore things are looking better. But with a degree the only seeming passport into a good job, with the media constantly saying how poor the economy is, it's no wonder students are finding it hard to land a summer job, and are also seeing it as more worthwhile to concentrate everything into their studies in hope to attend a good university to grab that degree, for a career in a few years time after graduation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.