The Student Room Group

Job help

Hello everyone!
Since it's the start of the summer holidays I wanted to get a job. It'd help out in many ways, not just doing something out of sheer boredom. The problem is I can't seem to finding anything. Nothing is coming up. Or maybe I'm not really sure how to search for a job. Basically I would like to do something IT based, maybe writing reviews or typing in numbers (menial accounting).
The main problem is that I don't live in a town and live out on a farm. The stables here don't have work for me and the closest town is in Witney. I could travel further afield but hopefully not.
I guess what I'm asking is just some help or advice from people who've been there and done it. Or maybe even know someone with a vacancy.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Original post by Wheres_the_salt
Hello everyone!
Since it's the start of the summer holidays I wanted to get a job. It'd help out in many ways, not just doing something out of sheer boredom. The problem is I can't seem to finding anything. Nothing is coming up. Or maybe I'm not really sure how to search for a job. Basically I would like to do something IT based, maybe writing reviews or typing in numbers (menial accounting).
The main problem is that I don't live in a town and live out on a farm. The stables here don't have work for me and the closest town is in Witney. I could travel further afield but hopefully not.
I guess what I'm asking is just some help or advice from people who've been there and done it. Or maybe even know someone with a vacancy.

Moved this to the temp employment section as you should get more replies here. :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148 You should check out the forum too, as there might be something useful for you :smile:
Original post by Wheres_the_salt
Hello everyone!

Hi there!

I've had a quick look at your profile. 16 years old isn't a great area to look at work to be honest, it's extremely difficult to find work anywhere other than retail/catering etc. The IT job industry is very competitive, so you'll likely need some form of degree to progress forward with an application, or join an apprenticeship at the age of 16/17/18 with or without A levels.

It might not be what you're looking to do at the moment, but a job in an irrelevant sector to what you want to do, is better than no job at all. Don't worry about the experience just yet - you should apply to job agencies when you turn 18 to gain experience in the IT industry then :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Moved this to the temp employment section as you should get more replies here. :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148 You should check out the forum too, as there might be something useful for you :smile:

Thank you! :smile::smile:
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Hi there!

I've had a quick look at your profile. 16 years old isn't a great area to look at work to be honest, it's extremely difficult to find work anywhere other than retail/catering etc. The IT job industry is very competitive, so you'll likely need some form of degree to progress forward with an application, or join an apprenticeship at the age of 16/17/18 with or without A levels.

It might not be what you're looking to do at the moment, but a job in an irrelevant sector to what you want to do, is better than no job at all. Don't worry about the experience just yet - you should apply to job agencies when you turn 18 to gain experience in the IT industry then :smile:

Hello! Thank you for the advice! :tongue:
I think a few friends of mine have some work placements at hotels for making beds or waiting on people and so maybe they know a few contacts which might help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending