Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I've only just decided at the age of 21 that I want to get into IT, despite the fact I've had a strong interest in it for the whole of my life. I'm good on computers compared to most people my age, I've built my own computer and have just started teaching myself how to code Javascript (though this is likely to take a long time to learn well.)

I'm about to graduate with a 2:1 degree in Criminology (**** degree I know), but I've decided I want to go into IT. What would people recommend is a good way for me to get into the industry? I'm proficient on computers and willing to learn.

ReputationRep:
    What sorts of areas interest you most within IT? It sounds like you're enjoying a wide variety of areas so perhaps you might want to start off with 1st&2nd level support and move on from there.

ReputationRep:
    Are you interested in support kind of IT (fixing computers, network admin, etc), or software development (writing code)?

They are very different.

Going into tech support is much easier than going into software dev, but if your end goal is software dev, going into support won't really help you (except maybe pay the bills while you learn on your own, but then you can do many other jobs to pay the bills, too).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.