Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Application/Rumours Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently applied for the RAF for the role of WSO. Ever since i was interested in joining up I have been pretty confident that I will get in as I have been revising hard, training hard (running/swimming four/five times a week) and am generally a healthy person overall (in my opinion). I have also been reading and reading application process advice on these forums for example and keep coming across little disheartning replies to posts that say 'one in seventeen get in' and 'it's virtually impossible to get in' and its just starting to make me think whats the point in putting all this effort in just to get rejected which is really hard for me as it's what i've wanted to do for a long time now and I have just finally got around to applying and have my P2 presentation this friday (18th July 2014) and am really excited as this finally feels like I'm just getting my foot in the door!

Any advice would me greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them, someone has to get through right?

Just never underestimate the process, study hard. The presentation will help you learn what you need to know. Give 100% at all times, and im sure you'll be fine.

Also, accept that a lot of people get rejected on their first application for competitive roles such as WSO and pilot. You'd have to be very clued up beforehand not to. I got rejected at my first filter interview - I knew a lot, but nowhere near enough, and the nerves got to me. It is a big task getting in, because the benefits of being in are so great.

Feel free to message me, i'm off to OASC in August having passed aptitude and filter interview for Pilot. I'm fully aware the hardest is yet to come, and if I fail, i've got to do it all again. It teaches you a lot about your determination.

EDIT: Theres everything you need to know on this forum somewhere. I didn't believe it at first, and spent hours searching, but I eventually found it. Use the search function liberally, read the news (BBC website is great because they tend to condense their news into timelines), and use the RAF website despite it being horrendously out of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l_lawton96)
    Any advice would me greatly appreciated.
    Nobody's going to lie to you, the odds are slim.

But that's not the same as impossible. People do apply and get in, so why can't that be you? If you go into this process with the mindset of "oh, it won't be me" then it probably won't be.

Whether you're going WSOp or WSOff, confidence will play a huge part in forging a successful career. And it starts now, not from when you get in.

ReputationRep:
    Think of the rumour mill as just another passive method of selection. Those who believe the hype and give up their application without even having a go are effectively rejecting themselves.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Every job in the world is competitive at the application stage. They want the best for the role and people apply for the number of jobs in that role. If you are put off by a bit of competition then you might need to toughen up for any job application!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Asking the same question twice on here won't make it happen any quicker.

ReputationRep:
    1/17 actually seems pretty good when you compare it to any competitive grad scheme in london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opts)
    1/17 actually seems pretty good when you compare it to any competitive grad scheme in london
    What is 1/17?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    What is 1/17?
    The OP highlighted the rumour that only 1 in 17 applicants are successful, and seemed disheartened by it. But, if you compare that figure for a lot of competitive grad schemes at the moment (and in particular, grad schemes in London) it seems like good odds, true or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opts)
    The OP highlighted the rumour that only 1 in 17 applicants are successful, and seemed disheartened by it. But, if you compare that figure for a lot of competitive grad schemes at the moment (and in particular, grad schemes in London) it seems like good odds, true or not!
    But 1 out of 17 where?

1 out of 17 at the careers office? 1 out of 17 at the filter interview? 1 out of 17 at OASC?

The numbers are entirely and utterly meaningless without any form of context. And you should well remember that statistics can be manipulated any which way you want, to show anything you want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.