Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't there a tablet that can "do everything?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apple, Google and everyone else all have their "speedy" tablets that our out with their "faster than the other" competition that they have going on, whatever, I'm not one who is big on technology so I don't know the lingo.

However, I want to get a nice tablet for myself and browsing around Curry's the guy asked me what I am looking for, I told him I want a tablet that can do everything and immediately he pointed me to the Ipad, great thanks, then when I ask him some details apparently Apple "doesn't do"

- external memory cards
    - in built dvd players
    - USB ports

So it doesn't do everything now does it?

Even tablets have bluetooth, but laptops don't?

Have I missed something???? Is there a reason why there isn't actually any one device that can genuinely do EVERYTHING as opposed to the next generation being faster and faster, when it doesn't actually need to be.

I'm not a computer person at all, so I'm aware I may stand corrected on a lot that I have said, so be kind!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The reasons for these sorts of limitations can typically be boiled down to space, power/heat management and the manufacturer's own agendas. To use your three problems with the iPad as an example, Apple push their own cloud services as the best means of storage for iOS devices and neglect external memory as a result, a DVD drive would just be plain unfeasible in any premium tablet because of the necessary thickness it would bring along, and USB ports are a combination of both- a proprietary connection gives them more control over what devices you can experience while in the iOS ecosystem and full sized ports would negatively impact the size of the device- this is the same reason you won't find them on Android tablets. Tablets hmare typically there for content consumption and interacting with the internet and smaller apos where an online connection and moderate internal storage is fine, rather than as productivity machines.

If you want a "does everything" tablet, get a full Windows tablet. It rubs the same OS you'd find in a desktop, willsuppirt external storage, can plug in USB optical drives, and get full USB ports if you don't mind chunkier devices. The Surface Pro 3 is pretty much the gold standard of Windows tablets right now.

ReputationRep:
    What you want is a Laptop. Tablets aren't laptops.

ReputationRep:
    lack of full size USB ports and disc drives = tablets being made to be more portable than laptops, so due to the small size they cant accommodate for those. however most tablets have micro usb ports, so in most cases you can use USB to micro USB adapter such as: http://www.expansys.com/startech-5in...FYbMtAodoXIA8Q

your best bet if you want the best of both worlds is to go with either a Microsoft Surface or something like a HP split, however you still wont have a disc drive

ReputationRep:
    The guy showed you ipads when you asked for a tablet that can do everything. Lmao. Does he get commission?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I second Gofre, if you're looking for a tablet to replace your desktop then Surface is the only real player. For someone who isn't a computer person, however, that's an awful lot of money. Are you sure you need a tablet? It would be far more economical to replace it with a laptop, which will do all the things you want. No tablet is ever going to include a DVD player, for instance - the amount of size a slot takes up is huge, especially when you consider that DVD is a (admittedly very slowly) dying format.

You've mentioned laptops not supporting Bluetooth. Are you sure? I'd be surprised to see one that doesn't. Don't forget that most of the people who work in Currys/PC World know no more about the computers they're selling than you do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's an app for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The reasons for these sorts of limitations can typically be boiled down to space, power/heat management and the manufacturer's own agendas. To use your three problems with the iPad as an example, Apple push their own cloud services as the best means of storage for iOS devices and neglect external memory as a result, a DVD drive would just be plain unfeasible in any premium tablet because of the necessary thickness it would bring along, and USB ports are a combination of both- a proprietary connection gives them more control over what devices you can experience while in the iOS ecosystem and full sized ports would negatively impact the size of the device- this is the same reason you won't find them on Android tablets. Tablets hmare typically there for content consumption and interacting with the internet and smaller apos where an online connection and moderate internal storage is fine, rather than as productivity machines.

If you want a "does everything" tablet, get a full Windows tablet. It rubs the same OS you'd find in a desktop, willsuppirt external storage, can plug in USB optical drives, and get full USB ports if you don't mind chunkier devices. The Surface Pro 3 is pretty much the gold standard of Windows tablets right now.

Thanks for your reply on this. I guess I always thought that since DVD's themselves are relatively slim, the overall processor wouldn't be too large. I just felt like considering tablets are supposed to be portable, and you can watch tv in the back seat of your car...it's a little pointless if you don't have a DVD player or USB port.

I was also looking at the HP laptops, where the screen pops out, I thought that would be good as an in-betweener, but taking the screen out means the USB and the DVD player comes out with it!

What exactly is the name of the tablet that you recommend?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Thanks for your reply on this. I guess I always thought that since DVD's themselves are relatively slim, the overall processor wouldn't be too large. I just felt like considering tablets are supposed to be portable, and you can watch tv in the back seat of your car...it's a little pointless if you don't have a DVD player or USB port.

I was also looking at the HP laptops, where the screen pops out, I thought that would be good as an in-betweener, but taking the screen out means the USB and the DVD player comes out with it!

It's a lot more difficult to get optical drives that thin, possibly because of the need for moving parts. It also adds weight, and has other drawbacks like increasing noise, power consumption, and more potential for breaking. Plus there's very little demand for them.

As mentioned before, tablets are designed for an internet age. If you want movies to watch, download or stream them. This is what most people do- there's a reason CD and DVD sales are tanking.

It's the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
    I'll second this. It's the tablet that'll do everything barring optical drives.

Hell, my desktop PC doesn't even have an optical drive. They're just not needed any more.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'll second this. It's the tablet that'll do everything barring optical drives.

Hell, my desktop PC doesn't even have an optical drive. They're just not needed any more.
    Depending on which Surface 3 though some of the Dell 2 in 1s are better *cough*xps 12*cough*

ReputationRep:
    Use a OTG USB cable and you could probably hook up a DVD player (a USB one) to a tablet. I know you can with USB and OTG cables (certain android tablets)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hardly anyone uses DVDs anymore that's why most slim laptops don't come with a dvd drive anymore. It adds a lot of bulk and thickness to the laptop.
    Even the thinest DVD drive is thicker than most tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumori)
    Use a OTG USB cable and you could probably hook up a DVD player (a USB one) to a tablet. I know you can with USB and OTG cables (certain android tablets)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If that did work, it would use up the battery of the tablet far too quickly to be practical. The OP should move on and start streaming/downloading video instead.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumori)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    USB OTG can only provide a certain amount of power, pretty sure optical drives draw more power than would be available. There's workarounds for getting the power, but I'm guessing mobile OS's won't have the drivers for optical drives as a result of the initial limitations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Hardly anyone uses DVDs anymore that's why most slim laptops don't come with a dvd drive anymore. It adds a lot of bulk and thickness to the laptop.
    Even the thinest DVD drive is thicker than most tablets.
    I guess so, but I'm sure people still use DVD's?! We don't all have Netflix accounts. And whats the excuse for no USB port? I read somewhere that tablets are mostly for browsing the internet, but if they are also portable, but don't have the "mobile data" usage, then where am I walking to...around my house with my own wifi?! :confused: I guess that's where you use the dongle things, but there's no USB port?!

It's actually silly how these companies make tablets faster and faster, when I genuinely believe, there's so many other things that need improving besides speed.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, but I'm sure people still use DVD's?!
    Yes, but not enough to justify making their tablets otherwise worse for.

And whats the excuse for no USB port?
    I gave you several in the very first post in this thread.

I read somewhere that tablets are mostly for browsing the internet, but if they are also portable, but don't have the "mobile data" usage, then where am I walking to...around my house with my own wifi?! :confused: I guess that's where you use the dongle things, but there's no USB port?!
    Smartphone tethering.

It's actually silly how these companies make tablets faster and faster, when I genuinely believe, there's so many other things that need improving besides speed.
    The reason they sell in their millions is because they serve the needs of the vast majority of the market. Buy a Windows tablet like I suggested before, it's the closest you'll get to meeting your requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, but I'm sure people still use DVD's?! We don't all have Netflix accounts. And whats the excuse for no USB port? I read somewhere that tablets are mostly for browsing the internet, but if they are also portable, but don't have the "mobile data" usage, then where am I walking to...around my house with my own wifi?! :confused: I guess that's where you use the dongle things, but there's no USB port?!

Tablets are ultra portable devices not laptop or desktop replacements. They're not very good on their own as a lot of sites don't work well with tablets. You can download movies from iTunes and there's many ways you can rip DVDs onto your computer and then stick them on a tablet. (Plus many illegal ways a lot of people use to download films)
    Tablets used to come with USB ports and SD slots and what not but they add size and bulk onto the tablet and %99 don't need those things on a tablet.
    They're not meant to be desktop or laptop replacements.
    You don't have to use a USB dongle on a tablet, some like the iPad 4G have a sim card slot you put your data sim in. Or you can tether off your phone.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think manufacturers are really focusing on speed anymore. They do see that most people don't care about speed that much either (beyond a certain point).

Most people value weight, screen quality, and battery life more. Unfortunately including a DVD drive, which probably less than 1% of tablet users will use, significantly increases weight and reduces battery life.

There is usually also no need for USB ports because most people use USB devices for connectivity and storage. Tablets include just about all connectivity options you need already, and they also have plenty of storage. If you want to add storage, there are a few tablets with SD card support. That's a much more space-efficient way to add storage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.