Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bleeding with copper coil (IUD) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and ended up getting an emergency copper IUD fitted on Friday, it's now Wednesday and I'm cramping and bleeding like I'm on my period and have been since yesterday but it hurts more than it usually would and I'm not due my period for another 2 weeks, is this a normal side effect of having the IUD fitted so recently? I was told to expect bleeding and cramping at first but I didn't expect this much? This is the second day I've been like this, I had light bleeding after it was put in but for the last 3 days I was fine, so is this normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, its entirely normal to bleed like this for about a week after having it fitted. I also had light on/off bleeding in the evening for about 6 weeks after I had mine fitted. Your body views it as a foreign body (which it is) so pain and bleeding while it settles and your body gets used to it being there is completely normal.

I'm guessing since it was an emergency fitting you didn't really get the chance to do a great deal of research on how the IUD works and the possible side effects.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contrac.../iud-coil.aspx
    http://www.brook.org.uk/index.php/co...ce-iud-or-coil

ReputationRep:
    Yes I had cramping for a few days after I had mine fitted as well as some on/off spotting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.