Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'very interested in applying for the Oxford BCL and Cambridge LLM, I intend to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor, but love studying law at the moment and would like a year to continue this further. I have just finished my second year at the LSE. However I am quite worried I don't really have the right credentials to get a place.

My background is as follows:

GCSEs: 11A*
    A Levels: A*A*AB
    First year results: Average 2:1 (67,65,63,62) - not too great but my first year does not count.
    Second Year: High 2:1 (70,69,66,65)

I am quite sure I can obtain a first overall; I need two more firsts and a high enough average. However, I am not sure this is really reflected by my grades this year. I have an entrepreneurial background, though I'm not sure this is really relevant (started an online business/leading an entrepreneurship conference).

More importantly, I don't have a rapport with any of my lecturers/tutors and they don't know much about me - so I'm not sure how good my references will be.

If I've understood correctly, I need to apply around November time, so in all honesty, any thoughts about my chances?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Probably a minimal chance at the BCL and a decent chance on the Cambridge LLM. Your grades show a decent progress from 1st to 2nd year, which will help a lot. Neither will care at all about your extra curriculars, both will care about your grades and personal statement and references, and Oxford will care about the essay you have to submit as well.

Disclaimer - I got rejected from both and am skulking off to UCL in September instead. Hope you have better luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    Probably a minimal chance at the BCL and a decent chance on the Cambridge LLM. Your grades show a decent progress from 1st to 2nd year, which will help a lot. Neither will care at all about your extra curriculars, both will care about your grades and personal statement and references, and Oxford will care about the essay you have to submit as well.

Disclaimer - I got rejected from both and am skulking off to UCL in September instead. Hope you have better luck.
    Thanks very much, I'm sorry to hear that, although I understand UCL has a strong masters programme too. Might I ask what grades you applied with?

I suppose the references and grades are out of my hands now, any thoughts of anything I could do to boost my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    Thanks very much, I'm sorry to hear that, although I understand UCL has a strong masters programme too. Might I ask what grades you applied with?

I suppose the references and grades are out of my hands now, any thoughts of anything I could do to boost my application?
    Had high firsts in everything, highest first overall, but not a very good uni, ex-poly level I suppose. Not too disappointed with UCL as I'm a mature student living in London anyway, means I don't have to move

Think the only thing left in your hands is to write a good personal statement and make sure your essay is good for the BCL app.

ReputationRep:
    References aren't out of your hands yet.

Either work this year to build good rapport early on with lecturers/tutors in those third year subjects relevant to your proposed postgrad content, or develop stronger relationships with those whose modules you've already taken (and preferably done well in).

Academically you have a shot at Cam if you're on track for a first and your references support that. You'll want a well-thought out application form (proposed research interests, why Cam etc).

I applied to Cam and think the key factors in my application were strong references and a focused proposed course of study. Many apply with firsts - academics are necessary but not sufficent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.